Delay/lag when doing folder operations.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kosa9824

Delay/lag when doing folder operations.

Post by *kosa9824 »

I've noticed significant lag when I try to rename or copy a folder, specifically between key press and actual operation. The worst lag is when I try to rename a folder ("menu" key and "m") - about 1s. It may not sound like much but it certainly is annoying. Does not matter if this file operation is between folders on SSD or SSD and HDD. File operations does not seems to be affected. It did not happen on my old machine. Tested with clean installation with exactly the same results as with my personalized config. Happens only with x64 TC, 32b does not have delay.
Any idea what might cause it?

I'm running TC on a Win 10 64b machine, TS is also x64. Telemetry is off.
I have Ryzen 7 3700X, x570 mb, 64gb ram. Disk space is no issue.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Delay/lag when doing folder operations.

Post by *Dalai »

I suggest to rename objects with Shift+F6. This will be without any delay. You can also remap the rename operation to any key (combination) in Options > Misc > Redefine hotkeys.

My guess is that it's some shell extension slowing things down. It happens pretty often that shell extensions are crappy and slow operations down, cause applications to crash or don't work or don't show up at all.

Since you already tested TC 32-bit and 64-bit and said it only happens in TC 64-bit, it's most likely a 64-bit shell extension causing this. Search for ShellExView in the forum on how to find the culprit, in case you want to track it down further.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
kosa9824

Post by *kosa9824 »

Thank you.

I tried disabling all non-MS shells with no change of behavior, it's most likely some MS one or it does not even show in ShellExView. I don't want to break my system by disabling something so I'll go with hotkey. (finally some use for that F1) And in meantime I'll hope that MS will repair their OS.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Did you restart your system after disabling the shell extensions? That's the only way to ensure that all of them are unloaded.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
kosa9824

Post by *kosa9824 »

I knew I forgot to do something. (note to myself: don't do any troubleshooting around 3AM) Thanks for reminder and help in general.

Yeah I found what was responsible: Google Drive context menu.
Although I suspect that since it did not behave that way on my old PC there is something weird between aforementioned shell, Windows and AMD/mobo drivers that causes it.