ID3 plugin => search genre by free text

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Yukusoona

ID3 plugin => search genre by free text

Post by *Yukusoona »

Dear forum!

First of all and again: thank you for TotalCommander!

I have a question concerning "Id3 tag plugin version 1.1 for Total Commander". I wold like to use this plugin to mark all of my mp3 containing a specific word within the "genre" field. Unfortunately the field "GenreName" contains predefined words only, like "blues", "rock", "jazz" etc. In my case, however, I use a set of uncommon words to tag my mp3 (e.g. Christmas, Mainstream, Quiet, Loud). Moreover, right now I am about to give multiple genre names to some of my mp3 files (e.g. rock\\jazz) so that I can create playlists depending on these tags and use one and the same mp3 file for different playlists.

Would it not be possible to add an option to allow for searching the field "GenreName" for a word of my own choice? And maybe allow combining with a star(*) (e.g. "*jazz*").

Thank you very much!
Yukusoona
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: ID3 plugin => search genre by free text

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

I don't clearly understand your problem.

1. Is your problem with the plug-in not actually correctly extracting/presenting the genre as defined in the mp3 files?

If so, switch to another plug-in. There should be a few content plug-ins listed over at totalcmd.net being able to show mp3 meta-data you might wanto to try (such as this one for example: http://totalcmd.net/plugring/AudioInfo.html). But since i don't use any of such plug-ins myself, i can't really tell which of those plug-ins would actually be a promising candidate honoring individual, uncommon genre names.

2. Is your problem with being unable to search for mp3 files that contain a certain text/string within their "Genre" tags?

Well, if the plug-in is able to provide the correct genre names from your mp3 files, searching for them shouldn't be a problem. If you go into the "Find files" fialog (Alt+F7), you'll notice a "plugin" tab. Click it, and there you can define search criteria based on whatever content plug-in properties you like (such as "Genre" tag values provided by some content plug-in). After searching, with all the found files listed in the "Search results" listbox, click the "Feed to listbox" button (somewhat unfortunate button label, imo) in the lower right corner of the "Find files" dialog to make the found files appear in the active filepanel in TC, at which point do whatever you like with the found files :)
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

I use wdxtaglib and the field is "Genre" this ishould work the same with any other wdx exposing "genre" tag (ShellDetails, Audio Tag View, id3...)

On the search Alt F7, go to the plugins tab, tick search in plugin and add/set a rule like

Code: Select all

[wdxtaglib] [genre] [contain] jazz
If you have jazz, vocal jazz, mainstream jazz, as special tag value searching for jazz will give all. Also if you have a file tagged by jazz\\relaxing !
For more complicated search you can use multiple rules or use regexp....

From the search you can use feed to listbox and then create mp3u playlist using a script or whatever from selected files...

Code: Select all

cmd=%comspec% /c
param=?type %WL > "%T\[Playlist Name].mp3u" 

--edited for clarity
Yukusoona

Post by *Yukusoona »

elgonzo wrote: 2020-11-23, 16:11 UTC I don't clearly understand your problem.
2. Is your problem with being unable to search for mp3 files that contain a certain text/string within their "Genre" tags?
Exactly, I would like to search the genre field for a string of my choice (because I use genre titles of my own choice within my mp3 collection), while the ID3 plugin offers predefined strings that cannot be changed. Anyway, I have gone a bit deeper into the ID3 topic and I must admit that probably this is my fault and wrong expectation. As far as I can see, the ID3 plugin refers to version 1 only - and in version 1 there are only predefined strings in the genre field so searching for a random string would be nonsense because there is no possible way an ID3 tag version 1 could contain this random string.

That is why I will go with the second proposition of using another plugin which can address ID3 version 2. Background for my question / request is as follows: I would like to search my complete mp3 collection for files containing a certain string in the genre field (e.g. "mainstream", "children") and then use the selection to copy-paste into winamp and create a playlist.

Thanks a lot for your fast replies! I appreciate!
Yukusoona

Post by *Yukusoona »

nsp wrote: 2020-11-24, 08:44 UTC I use wdxtaglib and the field is "Genre" this ishould work the same with any other wdx exposing "genre" tag (ShellDetails, Audio Tag View, id3...)
Sounds fine! I tried to download this plugin but it is not listed on "https://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm#content". I found it on GitHub (https://github.com/murzz/wdxtaglib) but I must admit I don't know which part I have to download in order to install this plugin?
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

If you don't find a plug-in on Ghisler's own Add-on/Plug-in page (which you already know), go to totalcmd.net where most TC plug-ins are listed and available for download, or search here in the forum.

wdxtaglib at totalcmd.net: https://totalcmd.net/plugring/wdxtaglib.html
wdxtaglib here in the forum: https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=145149

(In this particular instance, both the totalcmd.net entry as well as the forum thread for this plug-in refer to the "Releases" page of the Github project you already found. On the Github project page of the plug-in, you should also be able to see a mention and link to the releases on the right side of the project page.)
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

AS said, you can use any of the following :
  • wdxTaglib Just pick the Zip unless you want to compile.
  • Shell Details Swiss Knife of content plugins, it expose same data as Explorer in advanced properties.
Yukusoona

Post by *Yukusoona »

nsp wrote: 2020-11-25, 13:12 UTC AS said, you can use any of the following :
  • wdxTaglib Just pick the Zip unless you want to compile.
Thank you very much! I downloaded this plugin and it works fine with me. That is exactly what I have been trying to find. Now I can do various scans of my music collection depending on the genre field, parts of the genre field, combinations etc. (ID3 V2).

Good day to all of you!