Fully functional substitute for the internal zip - with support for TC's packing precise customization

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Fully functional substitute for the internal zip - with support for TC's packing precise customization

Post by *Usher »

Dalai wrote: 2021-10-25, 19:40 UTC Are these archives larger than 2 or 4 GiB in size? Does TC ask the following (or similar) question?

Code: Select all

---------------------------
Total Commander
---------------------------
Warning: The total size of all selected files (unpacked) is > 2 GB.
If the resulting archive is larger than 2 GB, it will be unreadable by some ZIP unpackers.
Continue anyway?
I think that it should be similar warning added when compressing more than 65536 files.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
odeon

Re: Fully functional substitute for the internal zip - with support for TC's packing precise customization

Post by *odeon »

2Dalai
You put it all exactly as it is.
Wording in TC (if and when such switch is implemented) should be very precise, I mean warning messages in configs and before compression starts (so that those who might have forgot will recall), reminding users what they gain and what they lose due to this or that setting.
Yet the target users niche is way too narrow - so far only one program I know lacks compatibility with the Zip64's.
After all, users are welcome to post suggestions and then the author decides, so we can completely rely on Christian's sense of merit and style as the TC's developer ))

2Usher
I think that it should be similar warning added when compressing more than 65536 files.
Yes, because such message will explain users possible consequences, which now they're unaware of
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

You said the important fact
Only one user has one tool which is not compatible.
This 3rd party tool doesn't accept standard zip parameters
and there is a perfect work-around using 7zip.
The decision is Christians but I would change nothing here :)
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Usher wrote: 2021-10-26, 12:31 UTCI think that it should be similar warning added when compressing more than 65536 files.
I like the idea, yet I'm unsure if TC knows the number of files at that point in time of the packing process. Counting files on an HDD (or network resource) also takes a bit of time if the directory contents are not already cached - the warning could be displayed when the user already left the PC. And, then there are WFX plugins where TC can also create ZIPs from (but probably doesn't know the file count)... Well, can't please everyone, I guess :).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Dalai wrote: 2021-10-26, 14:52 UTC
Usher wrote: 2021-10-26, 12:31 UTCI think that it should be similar warning added when compressing more than 65536 files.
I like the idea, yet I'm unsure if TC knows the number of files at that point in time of the packing process.
TC already counts files to generate the warning about total size. There is always "Preparing to pack:" info before zipping start.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator