[WDX] PCREsearch

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [WDX] PCREsearch

Post by *tuska »

milo1012 wrote: 2020-10-18, 16:06 UTC 2tuska
So yes: I suggest you merge both OiT archives in one dir (each for the same bitness of course),
i.e. copy the files unique for ca to vw or vice versa and point both plug-ins to that merged path.
Make a sync dir comparison in TC before that, if you're unsure.
Readme.html wrote:Note when using the uLister plug-in:
...This means you can safely put both of them in the same dir, provided that you use the same version of both packages.
This means that if simultaneously using uLister, just set PCREsearch's filter directory accordingly,
to point to the fitting uLister filter dir (see the explanation above),
as the other way is probably not feasible (due to uLister not being able to set a custom path).
Thank you for this precise and detailed information. I appreciate that very much.

I have now done a synchronisation, in both directions and merged the files.

Code: Select all

%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wdx\PCREsearch\oit32\ <-> %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\ulister\redist32\
%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wdx\PCREsearch\oit64\ <-> %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\ulister\redist64\
After that I made the following changes in the PCREsearch.ini

TO:   OitDllPath32=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\ulister\redist32\

TO:   OitDllPath64=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\ulister\redist64\
Thereupon I have emptied, i.e. deleted, the contents of the folders "oit32" and "oit64"
in %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wdx\PCREsearch\ and created these links in the folders:

%COMMANDER_PATH%_Plugins_wlx_ulister_redist32.lnk
%COMMANDER_PATH%_Plugins_wlx_ulister_redist64.lnk
I think that also ends this issue for me.

Thanks again!
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

For those interested:
I have made a summary in the forum "Total Commander (Deutsch)" -> German (with PICTURE(S))
from my first query with "[WDX] PCREsearch 2.5".
LeoLUG

Post by *LeoLUG »

Is it possible with this plugin to find and replace text for inside a few txt files via TC ?
milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *milo1012 »

LeoLUG wrote: 2020-12-02, 13:05 UTC Is it possible with this plugin to find and replace text for inside a few txt files via TC ?
No, it's not possible, as the plug-in is read-only.

But there is an alternative plug-in RegXtract which you could use in search&replace mode. But this will not work "in-place", i.e. overwrite the original file, but will create a new file.
So this new file will have the content of the original file with the replaced parts. You could overwrite the original file(s) with the new one manually afterwards. And of course it will only work for raw text or binary files and not with office files, pdf and similar. You can output/s&r multiple files at once with TC's Create separate archives, one per selected file/dir option.
TC plugins: PCREsearch and RegXtract
LeoLUG

Post by *LeoLUG »

Thanks *milo1012.
See please my post here.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Update:
Oracle Outside In Technology (OIT) - 8.5.6 - Release Date: 12/27/2021 available.
Downloads

- Content Access    8.5.6  - Release Date: 12/27/2021
- Viewer Technology 8.5.6  - Release Date: 12/27/2021
Oracle Outside In Technology - Supported Formats - 8.5.6.
angel

Post by *angel »

What is the pattern in PCREsearch to search a word "pattern"?
If use "First Line" I can find only word in the first line.
How to search in all file?
(How is possible to absent the simples example in the doc, meanwhile there are so many others s..t properties?)
#381167 Single user license [08:50, 26.10.2022]
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

If you want to search content for a specified word, it is easier to use the contain field.
If you want to search for a specified regExp inside a document, you can define a dedicated expression in one of the field (use PCREsearchConfig64.exe) and use that field in the plugin tab of the search dialog.
angel

Post by *angel »

nsp wrote: 2022-01-26, 15:33 UTC If you want to search content for a specified word, it is easier to use the contain field.
If you want to search for a specified regExp inside a document, you can define a dedicated expression in one of the field (use PCREsearchConfig64.exe) and use that field in the plugin tab of the search dialog.
I created custom Property "My search term" via PCREsearchConfig64.exe with "\QMy search term\E" as regular expression.
But this DO NOT search my example term like "Something" when select my custom Property "My search term" and write it in the Value text box?

For comparison the plugin TextSearch works perfect when select Text Property and write "Something" in the Value text box!!!
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

I created custom Property "My search term" via PCREsearchConfig64.exe with "\QMy search term\E" as regular expression.
But this DO NOT search my example term like "Something" when select my custom Property "My search term" and write it in the Value text box?
You should read the documentation in the Readme folder... and read it again...
You cannot pass regular expression to search from TC to the plugin !
The \QMy search term\E expression means that you search for "My search term" noting more ! The plugins allows you to count, return a boolean, ... but not to dynamically search for any expression !
angel

Post by *angel »

nsp wrote: 2022-01-27, 09:02 UTC You cannot pass regular expression to search from TC to the plugin !
The plugins not allow you to dynamically search for any expression !
Thank you nsp for your clarifications!
I can't believe that this plug does not support dynamically search (like TextSearch or xPDFSearch does!!!).
This info MUST be on the top and before any other info in this biggest docs ever, to save users time and efforts!
Or maybe this is the point - false and misleading ADs are everywhere these days ...
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

angel wrote: 2022-01-27, 09:17 UTC This info MUST be on the top and before any other info in this biggest docs ever, to save users time and efforts!
Or maybe this is the point - false and misleading ADs are everywhere these days ...
This is a more a misunderstanding (both side).

To my knowledge none of the wdx plugins do dynamic text search by itself. When using wdx in search plugin part, TC does it from field and do not delegate the search. For fulltext(w) field, TC call the content multiple times by block to stop at first match or continue until end.

If you want full text search (dynamic), PCREsearch can provide you the same as TextSearch and PDFSearch using oit (and or xdoc2txt). You have to install Outside In redist and configure the plugin to point to the extracted location. You will get field "Oracle Outside In fulltext search" use operator like contain, regexp ... and a value !
You will lose faster pcre search done when defining fixed search field but you can do text search on many file type.
angel

Post by *angel »

nsp wrote: 2022-01-27, 10:50 UTC To my knowledge none of the wdx plugins do dynamic text search by itself
Try TextSearch or xPDFSearch as I mentioned earlier. They have dynamic text search!
milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *milo1012 »

angel wrote: 2022-01-27, 14:40 UTCTry TextSearch or xPDFSearch as I mentioned earlier. They have dynamic text search!
No, they're not. Like nsp explained: these are two separate things: "dynamic" like with these two plug-ins doesn't mean the plug-ins themselves search for the term. In fact the current wdx interface simply has no function to that¹. What happens is that the plug-ins return a text buffer, in which TC itself searches for the term you entered.
Try to look at the interface description yourself
https://ghisler.github.io/WDX-SDK/contents.htm
So this is probably what you meant with "dynamic": entering a text in the input box.

So in short: for a Content/wdx plug-in field flagged as "ft_fulltext", like TextSearch or xPDFSearch provide, TC request the text in small portions (a few kB for each call IIRC) from the plug-in, until all text for the file at hand has been copied from the plug-in and searched, or the search term was found. So the search itself still happens in TC, the plug-in just provides the "file to text translation".
But yes, PCREsearch does the same if you install the oit filters and use the field "Oracle Outside In fulltext search". So install the oit filters and this should work, too. For all other fields you can't do that, you have to enter the term in the plug-in config.

¹ starting with TC 10, the wdx interface in fact got some new functions for that: for letting the plug-in itself search for whatever you entered in the box. But as I recetly posted here, this seems to be still buggy and I'm not aware of any other plug-in that uses them yet.
TC plugins: PCREsearch and RegXtract
angel

Post by *angel »

milo1012 wrote: 2022-01-27, 20:13 UTC No, they're not. ...
Lets clear some misleading info about dynamic text search:
1.TextSearch ->Property + OP + Value => You CAN search for your desire text when write it in the Value text box!
2.PDFSearch ->Property + OP + Value => You CAN search for your desire text when write it in the Value text box!
3.PCREsearch ->Property + OP + Value => You CAN NOT search for your desire text when write it in the Value text box, but you must use configuration tool (PCREsearchConfig64) for that.
The exception in this particular case is to use third party software (additional registration, downloading, license agreement and installation) called OiT (Oracle Outside In Technology - Content Access filters) with selected "Oracle Outside In fulltext search" option, but when you may have LICENSE problem, because the Oracle's libraries are not free!