TC looses contact with Everything on heavily loaded computer.

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

vdijken

TC looses contact with Everything on heavily loaded computer.

Post by *vdijken »

I recently started using my pc (Windows 10 Pro 21H2 latest version 64 bit , TC 10.50 64 bit and Everything 1.4.1.1017) as an heavily loaded PC using as much CPU as possible. I noticed that in that situation in TC the ticks for Everything using to find directories (Alt-F10) and files (Alt-F7) are gone. When you put the tick (✔) back to use Everything, a window shortly pops-up that shows that Everything tries to rebuild its database. It look like both programs loose contact with each other. And when you close the window to search for files and open it again the tick is gone again.
When you search for files the search is sometimes aborted; the bottom line in the search window shows that Everything is not used. When you force it by putting ev: in front of the query, after some time the search using Everything is also aborted. You can try it yourself by making a small program with an endless loop which runs multiple times in every core on your pc and then try to find files and directories. Windows event logging does not show anything odd.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC looses contact with Everything on heavily loaded computer.

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Check that Everything itself is working and you can search within the GUI.
If there are problems let it rebuild its database.
In Everything options the service should be installed and Everything startet with the system startup.
Do not run Everything as Administrator,

General I suggest to upgrade to Everything 1.5.
Its alpha but so much better in all aspects and runs stable.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Total Commander isn't in permanent contact with the "Everything" tool. It just sends Windows messages to it and waits for the reply.

In a first step, Total Commander uses SendMessageTimeout to send a message to the "Everything" window with a request to return the version number. Normally such a reply comes within a fraction of a second. Your system must be incredibly overloaded to make it take more than a second. If there is no reply, TC assumes that "Everything" isn't running and unchecks the option. If the reply is zero, it means that "Everything" is running but still building its search database. Then TC waits until it returns a version number >0, and shows a waiting dialog if the process takes longer.

In a second step, it asks for the drives supported by "Everything" by sending it the search string ?: and waiting for up to 5 seconds. Normally the reply comes within a fraction of a second because "Everything" doesn't really have to search for anything in this case, and the result list is very short.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

vdijken wrote: 2022-07-08, 19:29 UTC I recently started using my pc (Windows 10 Pro 21H2 latest version 64 bit , TC 10.50 64 bit and Everything 1.4.1.1017) as an heavily loaded PC using as much CPU as possible.
Then you should use priority management! Just open Taskmgr and set low priority for heavy background job. That will solve any problem caused by your job.
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
vdijken

Post by *vdijken »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2022-07-08, 19:57 UTC Check that Everything itself is working and you can search within the GUI.
In Everything options the service should be installed and Everything started with the system start-up.

Everything starts as a service when my pc starts. And the GUI works fine even then the system in 100% loaded! I try to find the Beta version.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

vdijken wrote: 2022-07-10, 16:47 UTC
Horst.Epp wrote: 2022-07-08, 19:57 UTC Check that Everything itself is working and you can search within the GUI.
In Everything options the service should be installed and Everything started with the system start-up.

Everything starts as a service when my pc starts. And the GUI works fine even then the system in 100% loaded! I try to find the Beta version.
Thats the link
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9787
Read the posts about using the alpaha version with TC
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64