Length of CustomFields Contents line in ini

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

funkymonk

Length of CustomFields Contents line in ini

Post by *funkymonk »

This is not really a bug -- it's more a limitation:

TC 10.50x32

When defining custom columns with a lot of fields, the ContentsX line in the ini file section [CustomFields] can get quite long.
After 1020 (1024?) characters, the line is simply truncated, resulting in incomplete information and broken custom columns.

@ghisler
Can you please increase the supported number of chars for ContentsX (or at least issue a warning in case no more fields can be added)?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Length of CustomFields Contents line in ini

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, currently it's not planned to increase this field size. Each section in an ini file is limited to 65535 characters, so making a single value too large would significantly reduce the total number of views.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2ghisler(Author)
I've run into this issue a couple of weeks ago with one of my WFX plugins. I didn't report it because I didn't have the time for a proper bug report. It took me a while to figure out why my custom columns view was not working the way it was supposed to work.

Anyway, the reason you describe doesn't apply to custom columns of WFX plugins because they use their own section in wincmd.ini. And I agree with funkymonk that there needs to be some kind of warning/error message when reaching the limit. Silently truncating input is just bad design!

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Very old, but related topic: viewtopic.php?p=251050#p251050
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

I want to to bring this one up again for TC11.00.

Apparently the max size of ini sections was increased lately -- maybe this helps.
It would still be great if more than 1024 chars would be allowed for the Contents line in [CustomFields].
I use custom views quite often and find it very limiting for some views.

If this is still not possible, there should at least be a warning in case of too long lines, just like for this fix:

Code: Select all

14.07.23 Fixed: Directory hotlist, add entry in submenu or delete entry: Write entire section [dirmenu] to store it in sorted order and much faster, warn if section too big (32/64)