DO NOT copy NTFS permissions

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Cobra

DO NOT copy NTFS permissions

Post by *Cobra »

[I created this topic once and after clicking "submit" form was cleared and topic not posted, this engine sux]

TCMD copies permissions between e.g. two desktops of two different users, causing target user not having rights to his own files on desktop. While Explorer does the job OK. But explorer can't handle long path so I am sometimes forced to use TCMD and then take ownership by hand.

How to set TCMD to behave like Explorer in such case?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: DO NOT copy NTFS permissions

Post by *Dalai »

TC doesn't copy permissions by default, that is, unless you check the option "Copy NTFS permissions (may need administrator rights)" in the copy dialog. However, the owner of files is always the one that copied the files.

It's a different story for moving files, especially within the same volume.

Can you please provide an example? Things like where do you copy the files to, which owner do they get, and what do you expect to happen and what happens instead.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Cobra

Post by *Cobra »

Dalai wrote: 2022-07-16, 13:13 UTC TC doesn't copy permissions by default, that is, unless you check the option "Copy NTFS permissions (may need administrator rights)" in the copy dialog. However, the owner of files is always the one that copied the files.

It's a different story for moving files, especially within the same volume.

Can you please provide an example? Things like where do you copy the files to, which owner do they get, and what do you expect to happen and what happens instead.

Regards
Dalai
If I move files via Explorer using ctrl+x / ctrl + v - no problems
If I move files via TCMD - recipient user has no rights to files and I have to take ownership.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Yes, I understand that. I repeat my question:
Dalai wrote: 2022-07-16, 13:13 UTCCan you please provide an example? Things like where do you copy the files to, which owner do they get, and what do you expect to happen and what happens instead.
Redact or replace sensitive information if necessary.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Copying and moving is NOT the same thing. When you move files, they usually keep their old permissions because they are stored in an alternate data stream. You can controls this via wincmd.ini:

XPMoveMethod=
1: When moving files within a drive, the permissions of the target folder are used
2: As 1, but when moving folders, all files and subfolders in them are changed to the target permissions too
0: The permissions of the files are kept
Default: XP (and newer):1, other systems: 0
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com