Ability to fix old path when "Drive not found"

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gentux

Ability to fix old path when "Drive not found"

Post by *gentux »

Hi there

I regularly use Total Commander and it's a huge tool, but there is one thing when I wished it behaved a bit differently.

I'd like to suggesst some form of path correction possibility in the situation a drive is not found. For now it seems an invalid path in TC is just gone and you have to first choose a local drive and change it around, back to where you wanted to be. These days I hardly have anything more than my downloads on my local machine so most of my tabs are network shares with deep hierachies, mostly not mounted as letters.

Sometimes I change my network around and one of the TC tabs has the old IP or an outdated hostname, sometimes Windows just lost the connection and does weird stuff.

I came up with several options I'd see fit to help me in these situations, maybe one of these could be implemented in a future version?

a) make "Cancel" not close the tab but rather stay on the invalid drive and show an empty/grayed out lister, so you can just click on the top and correct it there.
b) maybe that dialog could be omitted completely and the error shown inline with the incorrect path in place to be corrected?
c) show a pre-filled textbox in the Drive-not-found-dialog so you can correct just the part that changed and hit OK.
d) just having a button that copies the invalid path out to the clipboard would be helpful.
e) or even just making that dialog non-modal and the the textbox behind it accessible would work but I understand why the tiny window must be modal to not get lost.

Or did I miss something how to properly handle the situation? I tried searching but with the words I used I just found similar requests from 15 years ago :D
Hacker

Re: Ability to fix old path when "Drive not found"

Post by *Hacker »

Hi gentux,
did I miss something how to properly handle the situation?
Yup, Help, section 4.b) ;)
wincmd.ini
[Configuration]
IgnoreDirErrors=0
1: allows you to switch to inaccessible or non-existent directories, shows <Read error!> in file list instead
0: only shows <Read error!> at the start of Total Commander for unreachable directories on locked tabs
-1: never shows <Read error!>, always switches away from unreachable directories
HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
gentux

Post by *gentux »

Hi Roman,

Sometimes someone has to stick it right into your eyes for you to see it. :D Thanks, that's what exactly I was looking for but somehow missed all along.

Greetings
gentux
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

gentux,
Well, admittedly, reading the help file to learn about the hundreds of different .ini entries isn't really easy to find out about nor do.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
gentux

Post by *gentux »

Exactly sometimes you just look for the wrong things (like me about networking and shares) when it actually isn't something related to network at all but to any folder really.

Anyway I greatly appreciate your help. I tried it out, set it to 1 and it works just the way I want it to.