Synchronize Directories : Suggestion for the bottom bar

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

BlackWinny

Synchronize Directories : Suggestion for the bottom bar

Post by *BlackWinny »

Hi,

Here is a simple suggestion.

In this picture you can see an example of a "Synchronize Directories" process which will be very long, probably two or three hours:

[img]http://black.winny.free.fr/Micro/TotalCommander/2022-07-17-Synchronize_Directories_Thumbnail.jpg[/img]

In such case, the user doesn't stay in front of his screen, but generally he stays in the same room or not very far. Therefore here is my simple suggestion. Could the bottom bar change its color when the process is completed? Say for example, a pale green background color when both folders are totally identical (0 difference, 0 unique left, and 0 unique right) and a pale red background color in all other cases. That way the user can have from his place the eye attracted by the change of the color, telling him that the process is completed and telling him immediately that there is no problem or that there are problems to analyze.

Thanks !
Jacques
User since 2005
Spoiler
Note : curiously it seems that I can't use the bbcode tag img. Perhaps I don't yet have enough posts previously published.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Synchronize Directories : Suggestion for the bottom bar

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sounds like a good idea. However, green isn't possible, only yellow (which means paused) and red (which means an error). Since there is no error, I will probably use yellow. But shouldn't it do this only when the program doesn't have the focus or is minimized? Otherwise you can see whether it's still busy or not.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
BlackWinny

Post by *BlackWinny »

Hmm... Are we talking about the same "bottom line"?
:)

The one I was talking about is just this one that I frame in blue in this new image:
http://black.winny.free.fr/Micro/TotalCommander/2022-07-17-Synchronize_Directories_Bottom_Line.jpg

Did you talk too about this line?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I think you meant the Windows task bar. This would have the advantage that it's visible even when Total Commander is minimized.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
BlackWinny

Post by *BlackWinny »

Yes... but the Windows task bar won't be able to draw a distinction between a finished process with differences in left/right files and a process which is in pause state. For both it would be yellow, leaving an ambiguation...

No no, the suggestion I do is simpler. Its purpose is just to show to a distant user that the process is complete (by the presence of a color as background of this status line that I framed) and showing the state of the result of the comparizon (there are differences or not, simply by the color which is shown by this status line) between the left and the right parts.

The process is running: background color of this status line is its usual grey, as currently.
The process is finished without any difference between left and right panel: background color of this status line is pale green.
The process is finished with at least one difference between left and right panel: background color of this status line is pale red.

Just that.

The user who is for example in a room where there are ten or twenty computers (a farm of servers or a classroom for example) can see just by a glance to the distant screen at a few meters that the process is finished and how it finished, so that he can keep on his current work quietly or come back immediately to the screen to see what is the trouble. It's an example where this feature would be very interesting.