ERROR CODE 80040154 with CONTROL-Q Quick View in Windows 10

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gezgin

ERROR CODE 80040154 with CONTROL-Q Quick View in Windows 10

Post by *gezgin »

(Using ToCo 8.52 64 bit)

Since moving on to Windows 10, turning on Control-Q Quick View causes ToCo to crash and exit with "ERROR CODE = 80040154" with the following media files: .MP3, .MID, .WAV, .AVI.

The program does not crash with .MKV or .MP4 files but it displays them as binary data rendered as "text". So far I've not encountered a graphics (.JPG etc) file that causes such problems. Text and other files (.DOC, .DOCX, etc) are rendered properly.

FWIW in my wincmd.ini file I find, among other things
<begin>
[ListerPlugins]
0=C:\totalcmd\PLUGINS\Office2007.wlx64
0_detect="ext="DOCX" | ext="PPTX" | ext="XLSX"| ext="PPSX""
1=C:\totalcmd\plugins\wlx\mmedia\mmedia.wlx64
1_detect="MULTIMEDIA"
[ListerPlugins64]
$checksum$=2291349047
</end>

The video files are not a serious problem because I don't view them with ToCo anyhow but the loss of Quick View with audio files is disappointing.

Is there a fix for this?

TIA
--
Bob
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's probably a plugin problem. What happens when you try to open the same files with F3?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gezgin

Post by *gezgin »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It's probably a plugin problem. What happens when you try to open the same files with F3?
I just tried it and the same thing happens (Error 80040154) with both the video and audio files.
--
Bob
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try Alt+Shift+F3, this opens Lister without any plugins.

Error 80040154 means "class not registered" OLE error. It looks like one of your plugins is trying to use an OLE control which isn't available.

Could you try to rename [ListerPlugins] to something else, e.g.
[ListerPlugins.unused]
to check what happens when plugins are disabled? You need to close and re-open Total Commander after the change.
gezgin

Post by *gezgin »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Try Alt+Shift+F3, this opens Lister without any plugins.

Error 80040154 means "class not registered" OLE error. It looks like one of your plugins is trying to use an OLE control which isn't available.

Could you try to rename [ListerPlugins] to something else, e.g.
[ListerPlugins.unused]
to check what happens when plugins are disabled? You need to close and re-open Total Commander after the change.
1. ALT+SHIFT+F3 shows the files as "Binary As Text" (BAT) in all the extensions that I tried.

2. With [ListerPlugins.unused] and CONTROL-Q:
.avi: a second or two of audio but no video
.mkv, .mp4, etc: BAT
.docx. .doc, .xls, .xlsx, etc: BAT
.jpg: image shown
All the audio (.wav, .mp3, .mid) and text(.txt, .lnk, url) files are rendered correctly.

In no case is there a program crash.

So yes, the problem is definitely one or more bad plugins and the solution for the time being is to disable them.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. (Help like this is why I've been a happy registered user of ToCo for nearly 20 years.)

UPDATE TWO HOURS LATER:
The problem lines in the [ListerPlugins] section of wincmd.ini are these:
<begin>
1=C:\totalcmd\plugins\wlx\mmedia\mmedia.wlx64
1_detect="MULTIMEDIA"
<end>
Getting rid of those two allows the other plugins (just one actually--Office2007.wlx64) to work correctly without crashing ToCo.

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

mmedia uses the installed audio and video codecs of your system. Did you install some kind of codec pack?
gezgin

Post by *gezgin »

ghisler(Author) wrote:mmedia uses the installed audio and video codecs of your system. Did you install some kind of codec pack?
There are no external codecs installed under Win 10 but there were under Win 8, which didn't support .mkv. All the codecs were uninstalled *after* the upgrade to Win 10 so I suspect that mmedia's misbehavior is an artefact of that.

I'm thinking this is no longer an issue for me. With the disabling of mmedia, control-Q is displaying graphics and audio files properly and that's really all I need. To tell the truth, the ability to display video files was not a feature that I ever used very much.

Thanks again for your help and support. Perhaps this thread will be of use to someone else with a similar problem.
--
Bob
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Removing the codecs must have left some remainders, so Windows still "thinks" that the file types are supported. But when it then tries to display them, it crashes due to the missing codecs. You may try to install the "ffdshow tryouts" codec, it's open source and supports a lot of formats:
http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/
gezgin

Post by *gezgin »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Removing the codecs must have left some remainders, so Windows still "thinks" that the file types are supported. But when it then tries to display them, it crashes due to the missing codecs. You may try to install the "ffdshow tryouts" codec, it's open source and supports a lot of formats:
http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/
I googled "clean windows codecs" and fetched up Major Geeks and "(K-Lite) CodecTweakTool. The tool identified two 64-bit codecs that were misbehaving. I disabled them and now all the problems are completely cleared up. This is justice of sorts because those codecs were left over from the days when I had to use the K-Lite codec pack to play .mkv files under Windows 7-8.

--
Bob
odeon

Re: ERROR CODE 80040154 with CONTROL-Q Quick View in Windows 10

Post by *odeon »

2gezgin
Hi!
I have the same problem with the Mmedia plugin. It crashes with the same error code when I try to view .mp3 files in lister.
How did you cope to find out which codecs were misbehaving in the CodecTweakTool?
Which settings need to be used for that purpose?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

CodecTweakTool
General / Fixes
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
odeon

Post by *odeon »

2Horst.Epp
Thanks, then I already used that hack and it didn't work for me.
Retested just now, no effect, the same error comes out.
K-lite is installed, as well as MediaInfo tool.
Perhaps some conflict with Windows 10, because on Win11 everything works like a charm
slavanebu

Post by *slavanebu »

I was struggling with error 80040154 for at least a week, tried dozens of options, all in vain, but finally found the answer. For mmedia plugin to work correctly in your system must be installed Windows Media Player. In my Windows 10 it was uninstalled or not installed originally. Installed it here:
Options > Applications > Applications and components > Manage additional components > Add component > Windows Media Player > Install.
May the power be with you.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi and welcome slavanebu , thanks for the solution

slavanebu wrote: 2023-03-02, 14:45 UTC I was struggling with error 80040154 for at least a week,