feature request: move files without shift key

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jh59

feature request: move files without shift key

Post by *jh59 »

Hi
I totally like TC and would never look at the Windows Explorer again if it was not for one thing: To move files (vs. copy) with drag-and-drop you need to hold the shift key, otherwise you get a copy. What I wish for is a configurable behavior like "required shift for file move across directories" that I can disable and then get the drag-and-drop behavior that is standard in windows.

I have seen an explanation before that this is consistent with 'move between drives' which always copies, but I do not agree with that argument for the following reasons:
1. Who works with drives anymore? In windows, most work with network shares and there a drag-and-drop between network drives is also a move and not a copy. So the move behavior is consistent pretty much everywhere in windows.
2. AFAIK, the drag-and-drop behavior is the same for pretty much all linux/unix desktops (at least that I ever worked with).
3. I think it is a simple matter of 'listen to your customers' - and I think I am not the only one - where TC is the only place in our daily work environment that has this behavior.

Thanks
Juergen Heymann
lezerogan2

Re: feature request: move files without shift key

Post by *lezerogan2 »

2jh59
I think there is an option using the mouse without press shift to move files, although it is not the default behavior you ask for.
You begin drag with left mouse but before drop, you press also the right mouse and then release the left one.
Hacker

Re: feature request: move files without shift key

Post by *Hacker »

Hello jh59,
I don't think TC's behavior is too complex. Drag using only the left mouse button? Copy. Drag while also holding the right mouse button? Move. Simple.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.