Menu "Mark > Compare Directories": how to marking Folders with different dates ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Robbie

Menu "Mark > Compare Directories": how to marking Folders with different dates ?

Post by *Robbie »

Hi There

As a intensive user of TC (including Beta's) I'm searching for an option to mark folders where they differ not by name and content only but by date. Is there an option to do so?

Recreate situation
start cmd and copy past the following:
---
cd %temp%
md Folder1
cd Folder1
md a
md b
cd ..
---
in the same cmd and after a while and copy past the following:
---
cd %temp%
md Folder2
cd Folder2
md a
md b
cd ..
exit
---
as a result two folders "Folder1" and "Folder2" are created, both containing the two folders "a" and "b".

Now navigate with one TC panel to "Folder1" and open it and navigate with the other TC panel to "Folder2" and open it. On both two panels you'll find the two folders "a" and "b". They are identical except for the date/time created.
Now In TC do F9-M-C
and find "The files in the source and target directories look identical!"

I'm looking for an option to mark the folders on the panel with the most recent date/time.
in the above case: folders "a" and "b" in "Folder2" are marked, indicating that they have a more recent dat/time.

After the test you might want to remove the folders "Folder1" and "Folder2"

Looking forward to more insights!
rob
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Mark Compare Directories marking Folders with different dates

Post by *petermad »

There is the command cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs which also mark subdirs not present in other dir, but it does not take the date of the dirs into consideration when doing the marking.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Robbie

Re: Menu "Mark > Compare Directories": how to marking Folders with different dates ?

Post by *Robbie »

Looks like TC10.51 broke F9+m+c comparing folders.
TC9.5, TC10 and TC10.5 work (except for comparing Folder date/time). TC 10.51 skips all folders like TC 8.5

In addition
With the rc1 release it now looks like that the functionality of F9+m+c is not the same as Shift+F2.
cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs looks like to behave exactly like Shift+F2.
=> I Conclude cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs and Shift+F2 work OK, and F9+m+c needs adaption.

And in addition to this my request for folder date/time comparison.

regards
rob
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Menu "Mark > Compare Directories": how to marking Folders with different dates ?

Post by *petermad »

2Robbie
You can only be sure that F9+m+c compares directories if you af using the English version of TC. If would be better to refer to the function as invoked with Shift+F2, which is the standard shortcut for the command cm_CompareDirs
TC9.5, TC10 and TC10.5 work (except for comparing Folder date/time).
That is not correct - TC9.5, TC10 and TC10.5 and TC10.51 all use the same command: cm_CompareDirs for that menu item - maybe you have used a modified wcmd_eng.mnu file where the command in line 47 was replaced with cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs ?
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

F9+m+c still works with English language here. Maybe you installed a different translation?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Robbie

Post by *Robbie »

Ok, looks like i found something on my side. i'm looking further
Robbie

Post by *Robbie »

Ok, looks like i found something on my side.

clean install: no luck (for me)
however in TotCmd.INI i find a modification:
Mainmenu=%COMMANDER_PATH%\LANGUAGE\WCMD_ENG (MY).MNU
when i put it on comment (;Mainmenu=etc) : no luck (for me)
only when i copy the WCMD_ENG (MY).MNU to TotCMD10.51 folder and uncomment the line it works
i find the following:
WCMD_ENG.MNU:
MENUITEM "&Compare Directories\tShift+F2", cm_CompareDirs
WCMD_ENG (MY).MNU
MENUITEM "&Compare Directories (with subdirs)\tShift+F2", cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs
MENUITEM "Compare Directories", cm_CompareDirs
Looks like an adaptation from me. i now wonder with a vanilla install if Alt+m+c has the same functionallity as Shift+f2. i guess not.
(getting older and forgetting a little. lol)

question remains: can the cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs functionality be adapted to signal folder date differences?

btw i incidently checked the protect option now i cannot the delete the original folder and .exe anymore. how can i? without completely de-install TC.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

question remains: can the cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs functionality be adapted to signal folder date differences?
No, that would be a very dangerous thing to do. Why?
1. The folder date only changes when changing something in the folder itself, not in one of its subfolders
2. If you change files on both sides, the folder where you last changed something will be the newest. But both may have new files.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Robbie
WCMD_ENG (MY).MNU
MENUITEM "&Compare Directories (with subdirs)\tShift+F2", cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs
MENUITEM "Compare Directories", cm_CompareDirs
Like I wrote:
petermad wrote:maybe you have used a modified wcmd_eng.mnu file where the command in line 47 was replaced with cm_CompareDirsWithSubdirs
License #524 (1994)