Changing File Date to match another file

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Jon Canale

Changing File Date to match another file

Post by *Jon Canale »

TC 10.51rc2 on Win64 Pro

I used to know how to do this, but TC does not seem to work the same since 10.50.

Steps I have tried:
* File I want to use for file date and time _selected_ in Left panel. Cursor drops to file just below the selected file.
* File I want to change is in active panel in Right panel (doesn't seem to matter if this file is selected or not)
* File>Change Attributes>Change Date/Time>then Left (2) will select Date time from File
BELOW the selected file, ie, where the cursor sits after doing a file selection

Seems like I have to cursor back up to the selected file in Panel 1 before I try to change the date of the file in Panel 2.

I don't think it used to work like this in TC prior to 10.50.

Is there a setting that I need to change to make TC use the _selected_ file's date/time vs the file that the cursor drops to after selecting?

Is this a bug? (or a "user error"?)
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Changing File Date to match another file

Post by *Gral »

It works like that all the time - note what dialog window says - "Load from file under cursor"
But you don't even open this dialog window to change date to this from file on other panel, just define new user command (on USERCMD.INI) e.g.:

Code: Select all

[em_atrribtimesfromotherpanel]
button=WCMICON2.DLL,33
cmd=OPENATTRIBUTES
param==+L2 +dDate +tTime
choose date source file on first panel, then put cursor on file which date you want to change on second panel and call this command from button, menu or hotkey.
Jon Canale

Post by *Jon Canale »

Thanks for the reply. I'll try this button. But question, when if I select a source file in one pane, the insert key select method drops down to the file below it. It seems that to catch the correct file, I have to cursor back up one file. I thought that I had always selected files with the insert key, but just now I realized that if I select with the space key, the cursor stays in the same spot. That may be the main thing that I have been doing incorrectly (from habit!).
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

No need to SELECT file from which you get date, just CHOOSE (PICK) - put cursor on it, e.g. by mouse, read again - "Load from file under cursor"!!!
No matter what is selected - date is always load from file under cursor.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

FYI
It is possible to make selecting with the Space key work the same way as the Insert key (move down) by putting SpaceMovesDown=1 in the [Configuration] section of the wincmd.ini file.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Jon Canale

Post by *Jon Canale »

@Gral- button works great. Thank you.

@petermad- These configuration options are great, until you can't remember them or find them! In this case, I think I'll keep the difference between the Space key selection (not moving) and the Insert key (move down one). But thanks for the reply and hint!