One-way synchronization could be much faster

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ndru

One-way synchronization could be much faster

Post by *ndru »

Hello Everyone!

I have a suggestion for speeding up the synchronization. When I synchronize only from left to right then TC reads the whole file structure on the right, which is not required.
My suggestion would be that if you choose synchronization only from left to right (or only from right to left), then TC would check if the files which are in the source panel are present in the target panel, and check if they are equal or unequal, so TC would not have to read the whole file structure on the target panel.

What do you think about this?

-Andrew-
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: One-way synchronization could be much faster

Post by *Dalai »

ndru wrote: 2022-08-22, 16:41 UTCWhen I synchronize only from left to right then TC reads the whole file structure on the right, which is not required.
It is necessary to determine the files that exist only on one side, i.e. to be able to mark them as "to be deleted" when in Asymmetric mode.

Keep in mind that the buttons in the "Show area" can be switched on and off without any need to run a comparison again. Changing the state of any of the checkboxes (Asymmetric, Subdirs and so on) require another comparison.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Why would you need to synchronize in this case? Just use normal copying and either choose "Skip all" if you only want to copy added files, or "Overwrite older" if you want to copy new and updated files.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ndru

Post by *ndru »

Dalai wrote: 2022-08-22, 17:38 UTC
ndru wrote: 2022-08-22, 16:41 UTCWhen I synchronize only from left to right then TC reads the whole file structure on the right, which is not required.
It is necessary to determine the files that exist only on one side, i.e. to be able to mark them as "to be deleted" when in Asymmetric mode.

Keep in mind that the buttons in the "Show area" can be switched on and off without any need to run a comparison again. Changing the state of any of the checkboxes (Asymmetric, Subdirs and so on) require another comparison.

Regards
Dalai
Yes, you're right, if I click the "files to copy from right to left" then the files appears which needs the folders in right panel to be read.
ndru

Post by *ndru »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-08-23, 07:49 UTC Why would you need to synchronize in this case? Just use normal copying and either choose "Skip all" if you only want to copy added files, or "Overwrite older" if you want to copy new and updated files.
Correct, it is basically the same as copying the files, except you can compare the content of the files and it is a better overview of the files that might be overwritten.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

But to compare the files, you would still need to read both sides.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
I guess the point is, if you have a case like this (syncing left to right):

Code: Select all

Left side         Right side
-----------------------------
DirWithTenFiles\  DirWithTenFiles\
                  DirWithMillionFiles\
TC would not have to read / display / check / process the large dir with a million files.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see - but it would still have to be read when the user then clicks on "<-", which would no longer be (almost) instantaneous.

Btw, the user can still just exclude the directory DirWithMillionFiles\ from sync via wildcards.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
I see - but it would still have to be read when the user then clicks on "<-", which would no longer be (almost) instantaneous.
Yes, that would be the downside.
I do not know the exact use case of ndru, but I think at least a saved SYNCOPEN might benefit from this approach. Perhaps it could (also?) be a parameter for SYNCOPEN, to assume the sync settings will not be changed and only load files matching the options.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.