Color display in tab headers

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Color display in tab headers

Post by *Lefteous »

The color in tab headers is a gradient that runs from left to right.

What do you think? Is this a good idea or is there a better way?

I was thinking about a gradient that starts with a solid color in the center and stays solid until a certain point and then runs out to transparency at the edges This could be done using a quadratic gradient.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Maybe it is better to do a gradient from top to bottom?
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

Or no gradient, solid color has its advantages too. Like not conflicting with other gradients. E.g. default Aero in Windows 7 uses top-bottom gradient to highlight inactive tab when you move cursor over it, so currently you have two different gradients next to each other, or even over each other.
Ralph

Folder tab colors: option for no color gradient

Post by *Ralph »

The folder tab color feature in TC 9 is very helpful; thank you.

I would like a switch to turn off color gradients for folder tabs. I would find it easier to distinguish between similar tab colors if each tab had a uniform color. The current color gradients make each tab lighter at the right-hand edge, so the most intense and distinctive colors are not adjacent.

In addition, I would like the folder tab colors to match those set in the View Modes, Tab color list. For example, if I select green, with an RGB value of (0,255,0), the left edge of the corresponding folder tab has an RGB value of about (159,255,159).

Thanks
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Since the tabs are themed, TC cannot just draw the plain color - this would look horrible. Instead it blends the color over the existing theme background. Doing this without gradient doesn't look nice.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
paravion

Post by *paravion »

Dear Christian, please make view modes accesible via the tab right-click menu, possibly with the color patches to make possible quick color marking in cluttered multiple tab arrangements.
Please make close button on tabs to quickly close inactive tabs without svitching on them, currenly this needs right click and selection.
thomasw

Re:

Post by *thomasw »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2016-06-21, 20:23 UTC Since the tabs are themed, TC cannot just draw the plain color - this would look horrible. Instead it blends the color over the existing theme background. Doing this without gradient doesn't look nice.
Hi,

I agree, the gradient looks nice, but the gradient should be from right to left to have the the best readability in dark mode!
In this case you have the normal and best colors on the left side (where the name of the header begins) and on the right side the highlight-color (which may affect the readability of the text) where the name of the header ends.

Do you understand my point and can you change this?

Thx
Thomas

Image: