Just look at pic and explain it for all of us.... rules for the size of the columns

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Just look at pic and explain it for all of us.... rules for the size of the columns

Post by *AntonyD »

[img]https://i.ibb.co/nL3PGqV/1.png[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/m6vsc7W/2.png[/img]
Where in these two columns - Extension and Size - are the borders to which the in-line text rendering is bound?
What conditions and what rules work in these two columns for this purposes: to draw text INSIDE the borders?
What a permanent empty area: on the first screenshot it is a red rectangle, on the second - a void between the far right red line and the green one.

We can all see perfectly well that the behavior of Total is by default - when drawing data inside these columns can not be called adequate.
Why are we being asked to use some of our own column display templates instead of fixing this default misunderstanding?
#146217 personal license
beb

Re: Just look at pic and explain it for all of us....

Post by *beb »

The main rule: by default the text within columns is left-aligned.
Apparently, within the "Size" column there's also a secondary internal alignment that is dynamically redefined according to the content (where the rightmost level depends on the longest entry).
So when we have an excessive column width we're getting some void to the right.

There could be an option to redefine alignment for the specific columns in the "Display - Tabstops" section in the Configuration.
But why posit a plurality without necessity, if this function is already granted by the custom columns, where one can just make "Size" column right-aligned. What's wrong with using that?
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Just look at pic and explain it for all of us....

Post by *petermad »

2AntonDudarenko

Just reduce the width of the Size column until you like the distance to the Date column - then expand the size of the Ext. column for the amount of space you need for the widest Size you need - the size column writes in the right part of the Ext. column. See: https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/sizecolumn.png
Last edited by petermad on 2022-09-19, 17:41 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Just look at pic and explain it for all of us.... rules for the size of the columns

Post by *AntonyD »

[img]https://kvotka.ru/images/2022/09/19/3.th.png[/img]
Even at the CustomCol. mode I can't get fully-truly right-aligned text.
And plus another strange behavior which is 100% off-putting me against from any attempts to use any custom col.
Inside Archives these fields mostly do not work, EVEN! predefined-hardoced at TC!

My created Custom Columns view:
[img]https://kvotka.ru/images/2022/09/19/1.th.png[/img]
Predefined(built-in) TC's view mode FULL (so these columns ARE working....)
[img]https://kvotka.ru/images/2022/09/19/2.th.png[/img]
Settings for my custom col.
[img]https://kvotka.ru/images/2022/09/19/31800bc512fe69c4e.th.png[/img]
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Just look at pic and explain it for all of us.... rules for the size of the columns

Post by *petermad »

2AntonDudarenko
Predefined(built-in) TC's view mode FULL (so these columns ARE working....)
Image: https://kvotka.ru/images/2022/09/19/2.th.png
That is not the default columns in Full view - this is how it looks with a fresh .ini file: https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/defaultcolumns.png

But as I wrote for Full view: reduce the width of the Size column and expand the size of the Ext column - these two colums are connected in Full view.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

That is not the default columns in Full view
But this IS the default columns :) I just have hidden the last "Attrib." column at all.
But as I wrote for Full view: reduce
OK, I understand that i CAN do so - but I wouldn't do that - because it does not take me
to the desirable picture in any way you look at it(((

Again, we've moved on from the last "discovery" - the built-in data columns do not work in the archives!
Odd that this as a bug isn't displayed in at least some of the topics on this forum. Or was I not looking hard enough?
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Odd that this as a bug isn't displayed in at least some of the topics on this forum.
It is not a bug - it is a feature:
viewtopic.php?t=77016
viewtopic.php?p=289272
viewtopic.php?p=369654
viewtopic.php?p=188853
viewtopic.php?p=177467
viewtopic.php?t=20113
viewtopic.php?t=22441
License #524 (1994)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

It is not a bug - it is a feature:
All these topics examples belongs to the named problems "How to leave with strange alignment and width of columns". Ok i can assume that this was a feature.
BUT in last sentence I've said about real bug - custom fields do not work inside archives!
I set up predefined data columns related to time/date as fields and showed that they don't work inside the archive! And the exact same columns, with the same information, but being part of a predefined set of columns named Full - suddenly works inside the archives.
Last edited by AntonyD on 2022-09-20, 17:46 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#146217 personal license
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

AntonDudarenko wrote: 2022-09-20, 12:00 UTC BUT in last sentence I've said about real bug - custom fields do not work inside archives!
It's not a bug, it's blocked by design. Imagine a very large solid archive - how long will it take to unpack all files and get needed custom columns?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Can't I convey a simple thought to everyone?.....
The DATE field, which is part of the set of columns of the Full mode, CAN show the date and time of files in the archive.
The DATE field, which is located in a new set of columns that create a new view (but it is the same predefined DATE field that I described above) for some reason it no longer KNOWS how to show the date and time of files in the archive.
That is, the same column with the same data set - "there" works, but "here" does not. And moreover, in most cases, the assumption that you have to wait a long time for the archive to be unpacked in order to get information is not appropriate here, because the overwhelming number of unpackers with the command "show the list of files inside the archive" provides ALL the information about the packed files at ONCE. Including information about the date and time. Otherwise, we would never have seen her at all. But we can see her. Just turn on the Full mode.
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

overwhelming number of unpackers with the command "show the list of files inside the archive" provides ALL the information about the packed files at ONCE
Hmm, can those unpackers show any meta data as for example dimensions and recording date of pictures and movies, sample rates etc. for sound and movies etc - all that kind of information that you use content plugins for in TC's custom columns - those data can not be obtained without unpacking the files. Custom colums can also show NTFS data streams via plugins, info that is not even stored in the archive.

Winrar shows Name, Extension, Size and Modified date as TC and furthremore shows Compressed and CRC. Winrar can sort also by Creation date and Accessed date, but has no columns for these two attributes.

7zip shows Name, Extension, Size, Modified date and Attributes (including Encrypted) as TC, but furthermore shows Packed size, Method, Block, CRC, Folders, Files, Created date and Accessed Date.

I agree that it could be reasonable that TC's own content plugin could at least show Custom columns for Name, Extension, Size, Modified Date and Attributes, and preferably also Creation and Accessed Date to the extent that it is supported by the archive - that should all be accesible without unpacking the files.
License #524 (1994)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

I suspect that in general there should be changes needed in wcx API - it should include parts of wdx API.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator