English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Search queries in TC using 'Everything'

Post by *tuska »

Everything-1.4.1.1021
fixes a security issue with using an insecure HTTP connection to check for new versions.

Download
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Everything 1.4.1.1024 - Release

Since my previous image hoster has ceased operations, the image links became obsolete since 1.6.2023.
I have therefore registered with a new image hoster and adapted the image links in the first post.

Windows 11 Pro (x64) Version 22H2 (OS build Build 22621.1778)
TC 11.00b6 x64/x86 | 'Everything' 1.5.0.1350a (x64)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2tuska
Are you no longer reporting updates here?

I recommend adding -first-instance at the top of item 13 as a mandatory parameter and a description of restoring the window closure by Esc, which used to be the default.
Overquoting is evil! πŸ‘Ž
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2Fla$her
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-12-01, 08:02 UTC Are you no longer reporting updates here?
Well, for Everything 1.4 I have only published important security updates and the release version 1.4.1024 in this topic so far.

I have not yet published any updates for Everything 1.5 Alpha, as new versions are constantly being released:
Version 1237a from 13.3.2021 - Version 1361a from 30.11.2023 ... that's 125 versions in total
and version 1.5 Alpha is mentioned continuously from the first post in this topic.

As soon as Everything 1.5 Beta is released, I [or someone else] will be for sure make an announcement in this topic.
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-12-01, 08:02 UTC I recommend adding -first-instance at the top of item 13 as a mandatory parameter...
I'm sorry, I don't understand why this command line parameter should be so important, especially as a mandatory parameter.
-first-instance wrote:Only run if this is the first instance of "Everything".
If Everything is already running this call will be ignored.
Example:
If Everything is already running and I click on a button with command:
- C:\Everything\Everything64.exe -first-instance ... then the call of Everything is completely suppressed.
- C:\Everything\Everything64.exe ... then Everything is started as a task (NOT as an instance!).
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-12-01, 08:02 UTC ... and a description of restoring the window closure by Esc, which used to be the default.
Those users who have noticed the new behaviour regarding the ESC key will have either looked for a solution themselves
in the Everything settings or in the Everything Forum for a possible solution.
In Everything 1.5 Alpha there were always [small] changes that were communicated in the Everything Forum.
I don't see such a change as dramatically unusual to make them public and I can't remember any enquiry about this in the TC forum.

Windows 11 Pro (x64) Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.2715)
TC 11.02 x64/x86 | 'Everything' 1.5.0.1361a (x64)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

tuska wrote: ↑2023-12-01, 13:10 UTCI have not yet published any updates for Everything 1.5 Alpha
And what is this?
tuska wrote: ↑2023-12-01, 13:10 UTC As soon as Everything 1.5 Beta is released, I [or someone else] will be for sure make an announcement in this topic.
Um. You already do this in the German thread, but not here. That's why I asked.
tuska wrote: ↑2023-12-01, 13:10 UTC I'm sorry, I don't understand why this command line parameter should be so important, especially as a mandatory parameter.
If Everything is already running and I click on a button with command:
What does the button have to do with it? Under spoiler 13, at the very beginning (subparagraph "a"), you give a recommendation for using the -startup parameter of the Everything= key.
This is where this parameter is needed so that when opening new instances of TC, new instances of Everything are not opened, which together will greatly overload the system.
tuska wrote: ↑2023-12-01, 13:10 UTC Those users who have noticed the new behaviour regarding the ESC key will have either looked for a solution themselves
in the Everything settings or in the Everything Forum for a possible solution.
To be honest, I don't understand your message, considering how much reference text with perfect varying degrees of usefulness you present in different threads.
tuska wrote: ↑2023-12-01, 13:10 UTC I don't see such a change as dramatically unusual to make them public and I can't remember any enquiry about this in the TC forum.
The idea of closing/minimizing windows or dialogs using Esc is one of the most popular among users of TC and other well-known programs, for example, such as InfanView, Imagine, Universal Viewer, AkelPad, RegShot, TCUPNew, NTLinksMaker and many other addons and utilities published on totalcmd.net. Of course, this cannot but apply to Everything, which people used for several years before 1.5 alpha appeared. After invoking a window from the notification area and performing search actions, nothing should stop the user from resorting to the familiar pressing of a conveniently placed key to minimize the window back to the notification area so that it doesn't take up space on the taskbar. This is the first problem that you immediately pay attention to. It's so easy to understand, in my opinion.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

There is no Everything 1.5 Beta yet - only the suffix "-1.5a" will be removed! (Point 13.2.c.)
Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-12-01, 14:55 UTC This is where this parameter is needed so that when opening new instances of TC, new instances of Everything are not opened,
which together will greatly overload the system.
It may be that the command line parameters: -first-instance are very important for you - but they are not for me.

In my opinion, some of the command line parameters listed here under "General" are much more important parameters,
which I did NOT include in my first post.

I do not want to discuss the other points you have raised, i.e. I will not comment further on them.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

tuska wrote: ↑2023-12-01, 15:40 UTCThere is no Everything 1.5 beta yet!
I asked about updates. Beta or alpha doesn't matter.
tuska wrote: ↑2023-12-01, 15:40 UTC It may be that the command line parameters: -first-instance are very important for you - but they are not for me.
This parameter is important for users who run multiple TC instances. You're not writing reference materials just for yourself. Right?
tuska wrote: ↑2023-12-01, 15:40 UTCI do not want to discuss the other points you have raised, i.e. I will not comment further on them.
The choice is yours. It's a pity that I didn't find mutual understanding in such simple and clear things. I'll keep in mind that you're not interested in popular user problems when writing help threads. I won't disturb you anywhere else. Write your helps as you like...
Last edited by Fla$her on 2023-12-01, 16:30 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

I could give an answer to each of your previously mentioned points that does not correspond to your opinion.
But that would lead to an endless discussion and I would like to avoid that.
Sorry.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

No need. I have drawn the appropriate conclusions for myself. Your previous answers are more than enough.
NotNull

Post by *NotNull »

Fla$her wrote: ↑2023-12-01, 08:02 UTC I recommend adding -first-instance at the top of item 13 as a mandatory parameter
The -first-instance command-line option is not needed; Everything will re-use the existing running instance and not spawn a new process.

and a description of restoring the window closure by Esc, which used to be the default.
This topic -- Search queries in TC using 'Everything' -- is about integrating Everything in TC.
When using searches from within TC, the Everything GUI will not be shown and the Esc keyboard shortcut will not be needed.

(But indeed, point 12 is not relevant for Everything <--> TC integration either ... )
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

NotNull wrote: ↑2023-12-02, 15:47 UTC The -first-instance command-line option is not needed; Everything will re-use the existing running instance and not spawn a new process.
This is not true in the case of allow_multiple_instances=1.
NotNull wrote: ↑2023-12-02, 15:47 UTC But indeed, point 12 is not relevant for Everything <--> TC integration either ...
Not only 12. Several items have descriptions not related to TC integration, so it wasn't even worth bringing it up, especially given the end of the dialog.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Memory leak in the Everything Service since 1364a ...
The increasing memory consumption for the Everything Service can be observed in the Task Manager under "Background processes".

Solution:
Stop Everything Service [repeatedly] and restart [repeatedly]
or temporarily use Everything-1.5.0.1363.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Everything 1.5.0.1366a fixes the memory leak in the Everything Service.
Everything 1.5.0.1366a - Downloads

With version 1.5.0.1366a, the memory consumption for the Everything Service
remains constant between 1.2 MB and 1.7 MB (and is NOT continuously increased) on my PC.

Windows 11 Pro (x64) Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.2861)
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

This more of an observation and not a complaint, BUT when you have a path open using the "old" 8.3 format e.g. c:\progra~1\ and you start a search with [x] Everything checked, it doesn't find anything, only when you disable e.g [ ] Everything TC will show results.

Is there a setting by any chance in Everything that would allow both long & short paths to be used by TC. Or perhaps TC can pass on the Long path when it detects the user is a short path?
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2hi5

I'm not sure if it's the advanced option "read_directory_changes_get_long_path_name: false"
that would allow a search query in Total Commander with Everything for short paths.
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9994#read_directory_changes_get_long_path_name wrote: Set to 1 to expand paths from read directory changes events with GetLongPathName. (default)
Set to 0 to use paths from read directory changes events as is.

Disabling can cause short names to appear in your index.
If you would like to try this out, I would proceed as follows:
  1. Option: Create a separate Everything instance, e.g. with the name "ShortPaths" and have only one folder indexed there.
    Example: C:\Everything\ShortPaths\Everything64.exe -instance "ShortPaths" -startup
  2. Everything Options - 1.5.0.1367a (x64) > Advanced > Show settings containing: long <= type in.. >
    Position the cursor on "read_directory_changes_get_long_path_name" >
    - Option: Press F1 ... Help (web page) is called up
    - Set to: β—‰ false > Click on the "Apply" button, then on "OK"
  3. If you do not want to use a separate Everything instance, I recommend going to Everything Options - 1.5.0.1367a (x64) >
    Indexes > click on the "Force Rebuild" button.
  4. After the indexing is done, a search might be successful.
All information has NOT been tested by me, therefore without guarantee.
An enquiry in the Everything Forum could also provide clarity (you will receive information very quickly).
Β 
hi5 wrote: ↑2024-02-14, 20:24 UTC Or perhaps TC can pass on the Long path when it detects the user is a short path?
If I right-click on [..] in Total Commander and then click on the context menu entry "Search Everything...",
the short path in Total Commander is opened as a long path in Everything -> read_directory_changes_get_long_path_name: true (default).
Search Everything... folder context menu item