Could you add xxHash (xxh3, the fastest hash algorithm)?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

isidro

Re: Could you add xxHash (xxh3, the fastest hash algorithm)?

Post by *isidro »

Usher wrote: 2022-09-27, 03:43 UTC There's already a checkbox for Verify there. I think that it would be better to chose verify method for that checkbox.
No it's not. I need to have the checksums of all files. Verify is slower: all data must be written, flushed and reread. Generating hash while copying doesn't need to read again, nor flush, and it's all sequential. After finishing, another whole sequential verification process is a lot faster, and Checksums will remain with backup for future integrity checks.
Galizza

Post by *Galizza »

isidro wrote: 2022-09-27, 04:19 UTC No it's not. I need to have the checksums of all files. Verify is slower: all data must be written, flushed and reread. Generating hash while copying doesn't need to read again, nor flush, and it's all sequential. After finishing, another whole sequential verification process is a lot faster, and Checksums will remain with backup for future integrity checks.
The idea of generating hash while copying for future integrity checks is really intereresting, support++
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

isidro wrote: 2022-09-27, 04:19 UTC
Usher wrote: 2022-09-27, 03:43 UTC There's already a checkbox for Verify there. I think that it would be better to chose verify method for that checkbox.
No it's not.
I mean something like that:
1. Add button next to verify checksum

Code: Select all

[v] [Verify using method...]
2. Dialog for button starting with

Code: Select all

Verify method:
[ ] Full verify
[v] Create hash (checksum) values
...then add current content of "Create checksum files(s)..." dialog.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
isidro

Post by *isidro »

Usher wrote: 2022-09-27, 12:08 UTC ...then add current content of "Create checksum files(s)..." dialog.
That would be good only if full checksum file is generated while copying, and verification is done after copy has finished. In that way one could interrupt verification and do it later if needed.