OneDrive plugin and high battery usage

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Usher
Power Member
Power Member

OneDrive plugin and high battery usage

Post by *Usher »

I have installed WindowsLive OneDrive plugin v.2.03 on Android 8.1 and turned off battery optimization for this plugin as I did it earlier for GoogleDrive and other TC plugins. However, when I run OneDrive plugin Android warns about high battery usage and keeps that warning even when I close TC so I have to stop plugin forcely.
Enabling battery optimization and restarting system didn't help. Android still displays warning for OneDrive plugin. I have no such problems with other TC plugins.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OneDrive plugin and high battery usage

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Did you disconnect after using OneDrive? You need to click on the button with the OneDrive plugin icon in the lower toolbar and choose "Disconnect". Otherwise the plugin will use some tactics to stay running which may be interpreted as using CPU, although the actual CPU usage will be very low (a loop calling "sleep" repeatedly).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Yes, I did disconnect. Now I tried again - first closed the OnDrive folder, then disconnected. Nothing changed. Only forced stopping works.
IMHO it would be better to close OneDrive folder automatically after pressing "Disconnect" button. Is it any reason to keep the folder open?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I did disconnect. Now I tried again - first closed the OneDrive folder, then disconnected. Nothing changed. Only forced stopping works.
That's odd, it makes no sense to me.
IMHO it would be better to close OneDrive folder automatically after pressing "Disconnect" button. Is it any reason to keep the folder open?
You would have to reconnect when temporarily switching elsewhere...
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-04, 08:38 UTC That's odd, it makes no sense to me.
Just do as follows:
1. Run TC and open some folder on any OneDrive account. There is NO notification even when you copy files.
2. Stop copying, disconnect drive and hide TC. You will immediately see Android notification.
There is no similar notification when Google Drive is in use. In normal use I can see such notifications only when Google Play installs updates in the background.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-04, 08:38 UTC
You would have to reconnect when temporarily switching elsewhere...
After pressing "Disconnect" I would rather want to connect to another cloud drive.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

What device is this? I get quite different results here:
1. After connecting, I see the Onedrive plugin in the notification icon area at the top, and the notification in the notification shade
2. After disconnecting, the OneDrive plugin icon and notification disappear
3. When I click on Android "Home" button, I do not get any kind of notification
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

It's Iconia tablet with Android 8.1.
Edit 1: On Redmi Note with Android 11 I can also see OneDrive notification icon after disconnecting OneDrive and closing TC. There is no GoogleDrive icon at all, both plugins have the same settings for notifications.
Edit 2: Have you sett "Remember me" (keep logged in) for Onedrive account?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indeed the Google Drive plugin doesn't currently show a notification while connected.

I don't understand why you get a notification after disconnecting, it just doesn't make any sense. What does it say? Here it appears only during the connection, and it shows:
User:
username
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2ghisler(Author)
User and username are shown in Android 11. Android 8.1 shows high battery usage warning as described in the beginning (translated from Polish):
Android System - 5 min wrote: Totalcmd-Windows Live OneDrive application is consuming battery.
Tap to display battery usage in details.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That must be a special function of your vendor-specific Android version - it neither happens on Samsung nor on stock Android (e.g. in the emulator).