No unicode in SMB drive hints

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Vasilich

No unicode in SMB drive hints

Post by *Vasilich »

Hello.
I use several languages with quite different codepages (german and russian) on my PC. In drive hints for connected hard drives (tested with USB and HDD) there is no problem to see unicode chars in drive name (like ÄÖÜßЯЙЁ). But wneh i map SMB folder to drive letter, then instead of russian chars i get question marks. Note that SMB folder names are seen perfectly with unicode chars (as expected).
Not a big issue, but I hope it would be not so hard to correct it.
Image: https://i.imgur.com/DPfzzgH.png
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: No unicode in SMB drive hints

Post by *Dalai »

Is it just the drive hints or is it the same in the drive list (Alt+F1 or Alt+F2)?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Vasilich
What fonts do you use? The hint "\\Diskstation\????" seems to use another font, different than the whole picture.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Vasilich

Post by *Vasilich »

Usher wrote: 2022-09-23, 02:12 UTCThe hint "\\Diskstation\????" seems to use another font, different than the whole picture.
I have set all 3 fonts in TotalCmd to Tahoma, but i don't know whether is it possible to change font in windows hints. Also not sure whether this font is changed inside of TotalCmd (at least in dark mode), but its setting isn't exposed.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Vasilich
I don't know what Windows version you use, so I can write only some general hints.
1. Change all fonts in TC to Microsoft Sans Serif, restart TC and see if it's better. It's a font kept for compatibility reasons and it's better substituted in many apps, especially in old ones.
2. Try to change Windows fonts (it's in Personalization in Win 8+, I think) - there shouldn't be MS Sans Serif in use there (it's an old non-Unicode screen font replaced by Microsoft Sans Serif).
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Vasilich

Post by *Vasilich »

i am dealing a lot with different encodings and wrong converting of encodings, and this bug looks like problem with interpretation error of some SMB fileds (as i reported already for SMB comments, that Christian corrected in v9.50 - see https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=53622). Problems with fonts mostly show some letters as either empty rectangles or crossed rectangles, and problems with unicode converted to ANSi in wrong way mostly show question marks :)
Here is a screenshot where it can be seen that for local HDDs there IS a support for unicode.Image: https://i.imgur.com/KSciHz0.png
And- yes, same problem with Alt+F1/F2.
P.S. I am using Windows 10.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your report. I'm still using the ANSI version of WNetGetConnection there. I will change it to the Unicode version.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Vasilich

Post by *Vasilich »

Thanks for confirming the issue.
Will be glad to test fixed version if necessary.
Vasilich

Post by *Vasilich »

Confirmed as fixed in 10.52RC1. Thanks.