How to change the default image viewer from "Windows Photo Viewer" to "Photos app"

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Echelon123

How to change the default image viewer from "Windows Photo Viewer" to "Photos app"

Post by *Echelon123 »

Hi.

I have Windows 11.

Right now, double clicking on a picture, photo, JPG, PNG opens the old Windows Photo Viewer with the error like this:

"Windows Photo Viewer cannot display this image because your computer may not have enough memory. Close some programs that you are not using or free up some hard disk space (if it is almost full), and then try again."

Doesn't show the picture.

It should open the Photos app.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Change the default image viewer

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi 2Echelon123

do you want to change the settings for WindowsTM or for TC?

Echelon123

Re: Change the default image viewer

Post by *Echelon123 »

For TC.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to change the default image viewer from "Windows Photo Viewer" to "Photos app"

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Place the cursor on a jpg file, and then choose menu Files - Associate.
There should be a checkbox to substitute the viewer, you need to uncheck it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Echelon123

Re: How to change the default image viewer from "Windows Photo Viewer" to "Photos app"

Post by *Echelon123 »

Thanks.

It's work.
g200

Post by *g200 »

I am with windows 10 and get sometimes the same error message “Windows Photo Viewer cannot display this image because your computer may not have enough memory. Close some programs that you are not using or free up some hard disk space (if it is almost full), and then try again."

I suppose the default viewer in TC (from Win 7) needs to be replaced with the new windows Photos Viewer.

Thanks for the tip with file association - it worked.
Matrix

Post by *Matrix »

Howdie Team,

I prefer to use the newer in-built windows 10 picture viewer as well. When I unclick the file associate and activate the newer version of the photo app, I am unable to move to the next photo in the directory.

When I use the old version of the photo app I am able to navigate through the photos inside the directory.

Is there any way to enable to the navigation inside the newer app when opening a jpg from within TC?

I noticed that when you open the new photo app from windows explorer, navigation is enabled.

Hope that makes sense....
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Matrix wrote: 2022-10-31, 01:27 UTC Is there any way to enable to the navigation inside the newer app when opening a jpg from within TC?

I noticed that when you open the new photo app from windows explorer, navigation is enabled.
No, the navigation in this apps are working only when invoked from Explorer.
The best solution is to use one of the available Lister plugins.
IrfanView, PhotoViewer, Imagine
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Matrix

Post by *Matrix »

Ok no worries, I was using IrfanView up until yesterday. I will go back to using this app.
Cheers.
g200

Post by *g200 »

the navigation in this app is working only when invoked from Explorer.
Thanks!