Allow multiple files to be opened for editing at once

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Octagon

Allow multiple files to be opened for editing at once

Post by *Octagon »

If I press Ctrl-Enter when the focus is in the command line, the current file name is inserted into the command string. When I have multiple files selected, I cannot insert all the names into the command line.

Why not to make something like Ctrl-Alt-Enter to insert the names of all selected files?

An external editor configured for F4 in the configuration screen may be capable to open several files for editing. I tried to add %S to the command line, but that is not expanded to the list of selected files.

Why not to expand TC macros when starting the external editor?

Either way, it will be possible to select some files and open them for editing in an external editor easily.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You may use tools like F4Menu to edit multiple files at once by pressing F4.
Octagon

Post by *Octagon »

How?

So far I use a speed bar button.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2Octagon

%S inserts the selected file names, to insert full path try %P%S
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Octagon wrote:How?
F4Menu allows to get list of selected files from TC regardless of filenames passed in command line.
Octagon

Post by *Octagon »

Still not getting it. Unable to link F4 and menu. The search for "F4Menu" in help returns nothing.

Suppose I have several selected files in a panel. What to do next?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

F4Menu is an Addon.
Download it from http://www.shannycn.com/ and install it.
Then assign it as Editor in TC. This way you start it with F4 using the selected files. Just read the readme in the downloaded archive for more info.
Octagon

Post by *Octagon »

Oh ye, thanks.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Discussion topic for F4Menu on this board: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=17003
g200

Post by *g200 »

I am now with ver.8.50

Select files > right click > open
yuanpeng

Re: Allow multiple files to be opened for editing at once

Post by *yuanpeng »

Alternative to the solution with F4Menu (which is discussed elsewhere as posted below), I am providing a native solution. With this configuration, we can select multiple files and press a defined key combo to edit them using the defined editor.

Go to 'Configuration' -> 'Options...' -> 'Misc.' -> Specify a hotkey combo (like in my case, I chose 'Ctrl+E') under the 'Redefine hotkeys (Keyboard remapping)' section in the right panel. Then click on the magnify glass next to the 'Command:' input box down below. A 'Choose command' window will pop up where we can specify the command we want to associate with the hotkey we just defined.

At the bottom of the pop-up window (the 'Choose command' window), we can click on the 'New...' button, which will bring up another pop-up window where we can give the command a name (e.g., 'em_notepadpp'). After giving it a name, we will be lead to another window where we can put down the specific commands we want to execute. In the first box, we put in the full path to the editor executable that we want to use. In my case, I am using Notepad++ and this is my full path, 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe'. To make sure it is working properly, we may want to include double quotation mark before and after the full path. In the second input box, we want to put '%P%S' as the parameter of the command - this time, we don't need any quotation mark and also we don't have space between the two parameters. Then if we want to, we can specify the icon down below but I guess this is not necessary.

Then we can just select the command we just defined (e.g., 'em_notepadpp') in the 'Choose command' window and click on 'OK'. Then we will go back to the 'Configuration' window where we can see the defined command is already populated in the 'Command:' input box. Clicking on the '√' on the right hand side will confirm the command. Then we are done by clicking on the 'OK' button.