Sort by custom column in thumbnail view

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Wouldn't this be inconvenient for a user who uses a custom columns view and thumbnail view alternatively? He could no longer switch directly from thumbnail view to a custom columns view.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Jorge24

Post by *Jorge24 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Wouldn't this be inconvenient for a user who uses a custom columns view and thumbnail view alternatively? He could no longer switch directly from thumbnail view to a custom columns view.
Switching to thumbnail view changes icons to thumbnails and replaces the columns with "|Name | Ext | Size | Date| Attr|". If the user wants that, he can just create a custom view mode with which uses a custom column with those same exact columns and which also has the new "show thumbnails" settings enabled.

Then the user can just make a shortcut to that custom view mode and easily change to a view that is exactly like the current Thumbnail View.

When the new "show thumbnails" setting is enabled icons are replaced with thumbnails but it won't affect the column headers. When "show thumbnails" is not enabled, thumbnails are replaced with icons without changing the column headers.

What I call the new "show thumbnails" settings would replace the current "Thumbnail View"
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Changing just from thumbnail view to long view would be simply clicking on 'Long'. The columns would remain unchanged.

I guess you mean the more complex case changing from a thumbnail view with column header #1 to long view with column header #2. What I suggested before would indeed be two actions. I really agree that combining these two actions (as it is now) is important as I guess it happens more often than changing the header only.

I would suggest the following:
In the column header context menu clicking on a custom column set would switch to long view with another column header (no change compared to current behavior). Shift + Click just changes the columns. Current cm-commands could be kept, changing the header only would be additional cm-commands (or commands with parameters).
jctcom

Re: Sort by custom column in thumbnail view

Post by *jctcom »

This is all pretty old. But I am wondering if this has ever been implemented?

I have the latest version of TC and have created some custom columns in order to be able to sort by different dates in a group of Pictures / movies (Created vs. modified date etc...). When I click on "Thumbnails" my custom date column(s) are gone?

Any fix for this yet?

Carl.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sort by custom column in thumbnail view

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I haven't found a good way to add this, sorry. The custom columns are used for something else in thumbnails view (the text below the thumbnails).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com