How to divert "open in folder" and "open containing folder" within TC correctly?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to divert "open in folder" and "open containing folder" within TC correctly?

Post by *Fla$her »

avada wrote: 2022-11-27, 21:16 UTCNot sure how that works. Since changing the registry keys above results in the folders being opened in Total commander.
Your readings do not converge:
avada wrote: 2022-11-22, 16:46 UTCCurrently an explorer window opens and all files in question are selected.
I also immediately set up the registry according to the analogy given. No changes have occurred. Only Explorer opens with the selected files.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
avada

Re: How to divert "open in folder" and "open containing folder" within TC correctly?

Post by *avada »

Fla$her wrote: 2022-11-27, 22:07 UTC
avada wrote: 2022-11-27, 21:16 UTCNot sure how that works. Since changing the registry keys above results in the folders being opened in Total commander.
Your readings do not converge:
avada wrote: 2022-11-22, 16:46 UTCCurrently an explorer window opens and all files in question are selected.
I also immediately set up the registry according to the analogy given. No changes have occurred. Only Explorer opens with the selected files.
The first quote was before I made the registry changes. After I did, "open folder" stuff opens in TC in the way I described, from both mentioned apps and others.
Windows 10
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2avada
OK. I missed one parameter. Now I am see what you are writing about. Potplayer does indeed open Explorer after a few seconds, if it was not opened in the standard way. This doesn't happen with foobar2000. I.e. this is an internal Potplayer problem. As for opening a folder without focusing on the file, then everything is clear. Programs return the directory path as a parameter according to the name of the menu item. The file name is not provided here. And the selection of files in the explorer itself is implemented, obviously, bypassing the registry.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
avada

Post by *avada »

Fla$her wrote: 2022-11-28, 03:26 UTC 2avada
OK. I missed one parameter. Now I am see what you are writing about. Potplayer does indeed open Explorer after a few seconds, if it was not opened in the standard way. This doesn't happen with foobar2000. I.e. this is an internal Potplayer problem. As for opening a folder without focusing on the file, then everything is clear. Programs return the directory path as a parameter according to the name of the menu item. The file name is not provided here. And the selection of files in the explorer itself is implemented, obviously, bypassing the registry.
Hmm. So, is there some API to communicate file selection to explorer?
Windows 10
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

avada wrote: 2022-11-28, 07:08 UTC
No, I guess they just make a call to Explorer itself with the select parameter.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
avada

Post by *avada »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2022-11-28, 07:57 UTC
avada wrote: 2022-11-28, 07:08 UTC
No, I guess they just make a call to Explorer itself with the select parameter.
Shouldn't that bevisible int the command TC is started with and I can see via Process Explorer, due to the registry changes? Or is it some twostep process?

By the way in which circumstance should the cursor placing on the file should work? Only if I manually use such a command? (Since programs apparently only send paths for "open cotainig folder".)
Windows 10