Custom extensions for "search archives" option

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Robert Borkowski

Custom extensions for "search archives" option

Post by *Robert Borkowski »

Hi,

Many file formats are internally using zip or cab compression but use different file extensions than known archives (most interesting for me are MS Office XML-based documents). On the other hand, an easy way to do a full-text search is to inspect XML content of these files.
Currently, I often do it by searching for all *.docx;*.pptx, etc., rename them to include .zip extension and then run a second search over these files with "Find text" and "Search archives" option on. As you see, this process is a little bit complicated.
It would be very helpful if "Search archives" included a list of custom extensions (e.g., docx,pptx,xlsx) to attempt searching as archives. Do you think adding such option is feasible?

Thanks,
Robert
Hacker

Re: Custom extensions for "search archives" option

Post by *Hacker »

Hi,
wincmd.ini
[Configuration]
SearchInFiles= Here you can specify additional archive types in which you want to search with the Search function. Example: SearchInFiles=*.EXE *.JAR

See Help, section 4.b)

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Robert Borkowski

Roman, thank you. It seems like I missed this option. It solves the problem in principle, but the option is pretty is hidden and, if I'm right, requires restart of TC every time you want to change the ini content.
Let me then suggest that the SearchInFiles list could be added to the Search dialog, right next to "Search archives (all except for UC2)" checkbox. This way the list could be easily edited as neded directly in the GUI, and its existence would be obvious.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

If it's only about Office files (or similar ZIP archives containing XML files), you could just enable the "Office xml (docx, xlsx, odt etc)+EPUB" option after enabling "Find text". No need to search in archives, unless you need to find something very specific.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Robert Borkowski

Dalai, another brilliant reply, thank you. Somehow I have never noticed this option. I rest my case. I guess this thread can be moved to a more appropriate section on the forum :)
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Moderator message from: white » 2022-12-01, 11:26 UTC

Moved to English forum.