Comparison tool: We have to see how many times we have a match now

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Comparison tool: We have to see how many times we have a match now

Post by *AntonyD »

In the comparison tool at the bottom there is a label indicating how many differences are found in the files.
And we calmly begin to go through each of these differences and do the right actions depending on what we see.
But we do not see anywhere - and what difference are we on at the moment?
It is necessary to understand - I have looked at half of the difference found or not even reached the first third!?
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Comparison tool: We have to see how many times we have a match now

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The compare tool doesn't actually know at which difference it is when you click "Next difference", it just searches for it dynamically. While it would be possible to remember the positions of the differences when comparing, this would become useless once the user starts editing, e.g. removing entire differences.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2ghisler(Author)
Given that we are discussing a new possibility - of course now it seems unrealizable.
BUT - if you look at other simple, not particularly sophisticated, similar in logic utilities - then for some reason I can easily see there and how many differences are found - and on which version of this sequence I am now located.
Because it's just that this behavior is programmed from scratch))) So and here - it's just worth coming up with a logic for saving positions and recalculating changes made by the user. And in principle, this will become possible.

Regarding the phrase "searches for it dynamically" - but after all, the total number of differences in the lower left corner is written to me immediately when I open the file comparison window! That is, there is already a starting position for further improvement of logic!
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Do these other utilities allow to edit the file? For example, I have seen this in a Web browser, but that doesn't allow to edit the file, which would change or even remove the found text.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

I will not lie - a difficult question - because in most cases I edit in a third-party editor - because I usually have little ability to change the text in comparison tools. BUT even if you take the current version of the comparison tool in TotalС - when you edit something - then again press the Compare button to get new values ​for the number of differences found. Otherwise, the editing itself becomes stupid. After all, its meaning is to reduce differences. And for this you need to know their exact number;)
#146217 personal license