Everything indexed shared folder, but TC does not utilise Everything on a shared drive search

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ackuxacky

Everything indexed shared folder, but TC does not utilise Everything on a shared drive search

Post by *ackuxacky »

Hi,

I hacked Everything for indexing a shared network drive \\NAS\whatever and it indexed successfully up to 90,000 items. It also indexed the local NTFS C: drive. TC uses successfully uses Everything for searching on the C drive and results are return swiftly. But it obviously fails to cooperate with Everything, when searching on the network drive. The searches with and without using Everything are similarly quick/slow. And I can see TC searching through the folder tree in the status bar -- which should not be a case when utilizing Everything, should be?

What shall I check, please, to have TC use Everything correctly on shared drive searches?

Everything 1.4.1.1022
TC 10.51
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Everything indexed shared folder, but TC does not utilise Everything on a shared drive search

Post by *tuska »

Hi,

try Folder Indexing.

See also: Tool>Options>Network Drives & Network Index? - Conditions & Everything 1.5a
ackuxacky

Re: Everything indexed shared folder, but TC does not utilise Everything on a shared drive search

Post by *ackuxacky »

Thank you for your time, but the Everything FAQ does not give me any useful answer.

Searching in the Everything application (no TC) gives results swiftly, including results on the indexed shared folder. The issue is that the Search in Total Commander seems to be as slow with Everything selected as without the Everything choice. But only when the shared drive is selected as the top folder
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

ackuxacky wrote: 2022-12-06, 17:38 UTC The issue is that the Search in Total Commander seems to be as slow with Everything selected as without the Everything choice.
But only when the shared drive is selected as the top folder
Can you please explain this in more detail?

- What does the entry under menu "Tools" - "Options..." - "Folders" look like in your case?
- Did you a "Rescan All Now"?
- What are your settings under "Folders"?
- What are your settings under "General"?
  I happened to take a picture with my settings in Everything 1.5 today.

The most important settings in Everything 1.4 that you should have are the following:
  ☑ Start Everything on system startup
  ▢ Run as administrator
  ☑ Everything Service

This setting might help (adjust the path):
wincmd.ini - Section: [Configuration]

Code: Select all

Everything=Path\to\Everything.exe -startup

Windows 11 Pro (x64) Version 22H2 (OS build 22621.900)
TC 10.52 x64/x86 | 'Everything' 1.5.0.1330a (x64) | Troubleshooting
Search queries: Total Commander <=> 'Everything' | 'Everything' 1.4.1.1022
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

tuska wrote: 2022-12-06, 16:06 UTC try Folder Indexing.
It may be a problem with Everything 1.4 or with non-mapped shares, so maybe this hint will be more helpful:
https://www.voidtools.com/faq/#how_do_i_index_a_mapped_network_drive_nas_network_share
In this case a network share must be mapped to a drive letter. It always works, in some cases it may be faster.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

CMIIW, but I believe the issue is not with Everything itself, but with TC not using Everything when searching on network drives.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC sends Everything a request to check whether a certain drive is supported. For drives with drive letters, it sends:
?:
You can try this in the Everything application, it should list all indexed drives.
For a network folder, TC sends the following search:
\\* !\\*\*\*
Does this show your indexed folder?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ackuxacky

Post by *ackuxacky »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-12-07, 08:36 UTC TC sends Everything a request to check whether a certain drive is supported. For drives with drive letters, it sends:
?:
You can try this in the Everything application, it should list all indexed drives.
Yes, the search pattern does show the drive letters.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-12-07, 08:36 UTC For a network folder, TC sends the following search:
\\* !\\*\*\*
Does this show your indexed folder?
No, the search pattern does not show up the shared folder as indexed. My network folder has 6 folder levels \\host.com\folder1\folder2\folder3\folder4\folder5\

The network shared folder with the long name shows up for the following search pattern (dirty quick fix). It shows all other folders from another shared drive, too, unfortunately, see further.

\\* !\\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* 
I tried to map another network shared folder with only two top level folder: \\ip-address\folder\ and that one showed up in Everything for your search pattern.
ackuxacky

Post by *ackuxacky »

Usher wrote: 2022-12-06, 18:53 UTC
tuska wrote: 2022-12-06, 16:06 UTC try Folder Indexing.
It may be a problem with Everything 1.4 or with non-mapped shares, so maybe this hint will be more helpful:
https://www.voidtools.com/faq/#how_do_i_index_a_mapped_network_drive_nas_network_share
In this case a network share must be mapped to a drive letter. It always works, in some cases it may be faster.
When I map the shared network folder as a drive letter under Windows, the search in TC using [checkmark] Everything really utilizes Everything. The search is fast and seems to be accurate.
ackuxacky

Post by *ackuxacky »

ackuxacky wrote: 2022-12-07, 09:45 UTC The network shared folder with the long name shows up for the following search pattern (dirty quick fix). It shows all other folders from another shared drive, too, unfortunately, see further.

\\* !\\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* 
I tried to map another network shared folder with only two top level folder: \\ip-address\folder\ and that one showed up in Everything for your search pattern.
I have found two Everything search patterns showing up both my indexed shared network folders (the long and the short one), and only those two:

Everything search pattern A

folder:regex:^\\\\([^\\]\\)* parent:
Everything search pattern B

!: parent:
I'd say that the latter (noregex) is a perfect pattern, so let's work with it 8)
Last edited by ackuxacky on 2022-12-07, 12:36 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TC only supports search via Everything on entire drives or shares, not just subfolders.
Solution: just share folder5 in addition to of \\host.com\folder1 and then search in
\\host.com\folder5\
instead of
\\host.com\folder1\folder2\folder3\folder4\folder5\
ackuxacky

Post by *ackuxacky »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-12-07, 10:31 UTC TC only supports search via Everything on entire drives or shares, not just subfolders.
Solution: just share folder5 in addition to of \\host.com\folder1 and then search in
\\host.com\folder5\
instead of
\\host.com\folder1\folder2\folder3\folder4\folder5\
I'm not allowed to create or manipulate shares on the network drive. Also, I cannot index \\host.com\folder5\ -- it is not a valid path. But I'm trying to index
  • \\host.com\folder1
Expected sideeffects:
  • I have no interest in indexing anything else than folder5 in \\host.com\folder1\folder2\folder3\folder4\ or in the related top-tree structure. No interest in items in \\host.com\folder1\folder2\folder3\folder4\ other than folder5
  • The Everything index DB will show multiple times more items for \\host.com\folder1\ than for \\host.com\folder1\folder2\folder3\folder4\folder5\ only. Indexing takes ages
  • indexing puts unnecessary load (takes resources) on the server when indexing the top-level folder.[/i].
Therefore, please, reconsider a change in the Everything search pattern for the shared network drives and allow paths with no folder depth limits, as opposite to paths with a single shared folder.

I'm still waiting for indexing the \\...\folder1\, but that is only for educational purposes. I cannot index a network share for an hour+ a day.

I can go with mapping the network drive to a drive letter, as suggested by @Usher, for now.
ackuxacky

Post by *ackuxacky »

I cancelled indexing \\host.com\folder1\ after about 3 hours of run... Although, it would be a nice test, I see no end to it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Therefore, please, reconsider a change in the Everything search pattern for the shared network drives and allow paths with no folder depth limits, as opposite to paths with a single shared folder.
That would be difficult to implement, e.g. when the user starts a search in
\\host.com\folder1\folder2\folder3
but only
\\host.com\folder1\folder2\folder3\folder4\folder5
is indexed, then TC would have to search traditionally in each folder EXCEPT for folder5 and probably its subfolders. While this may be feasible, users could now choose to index 100s of such subfolders.
ackuxacky

Post by *ackuxacky »

I understand that splitting search queries and joining results may not be a straightforward solution, but until that is solved (optionally), a disclaimer can say that no query splitting is provided and for utilising Everything indexes, the path in TC and in Everything have to match 1:1.

So, yeah, when some folder under the search path would be indexed by Everything, that would be ignored by TC (and search traditionally). If that would be an issue (often queries), it is better for the user to re-index all accessible folders anyway.