Total commander does not change drive selected in the combobox in the upper left corner

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

elgonzo
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Total commander does not change drive selected in the combobox in the upper left corner

Post by *elgonzo »

If you are using 64-bit Windows, is the issue observable with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of TC?
Begrudgingly back to Windows... now 11... sigh... but i have no nerve for Linux desktop anymore...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Total commander does not change drive selected in the combobox in the upper left corner

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

A similar problem can occur when using a mouse hook. But this is very rare - it's only used for CBT (computer based training), macro recorders, and malware.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ldor

Post by *ldor »

I hope I don't have malware. Actually it would be very strange if malware was on all the three computers, especially that on the last one I've been having this issue since the very beginning, when only Windows, drivers and TC were installed. And I don't have CBT or macro recorders (I guess, Zoom is not CBT, but anyway the issue was there even before I installed Zoom).

Thanks petermad, I know now a way out, is to use drive buttons instead (of course, there are other solutions, like typing "cd c:"). So, probably it's no use trying to further investigate this issue. Apart from me nobody seems to have it and I just removed drive comboboxes and replaced them with drive buttons.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ldor
Did you ever try to press Enter when the collapsed combobox has the focus?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you run any common programs on all 3 computers? For example, there was once a problem with a translation tool which translated text under the mouse cursor when you clicked on it.
Beliathal

Post by *Beliathal »

I've been experiencing this problem for many years now. I don't exactly remember when it first started to occur - sometime back in the latest days of Windows XP, when I've moved from Norton Commander for Windows to TC, this problem already existed. I just never had enough free time to report it, because it was a minor annoyance, and because I was never able to recreate it properly.

The issue is easily solved by simply restarting Total Commander.... Unless it starts happening every few minutes. Then it becomes a major annoyance. That why I've finally decided to take some time and post about it.

TC can go for weeks without experiencing the drive combobox issue, yet sometimes it would happen very frequently. The drive letter is being selected in the combobox, but the drive won't change, unless I press enter, while "normaly" it would auto-change with the selection. It happens regardless of the OS, I've experienced this issue with Windows XP/7/10, on real hardware and in virtual machines.

What I've noticed is that this problem would re-occur when certain folders with certain (long or non english) file names are being opened in both panels in TC. I would restart TC, the issue would go away, I'd re-open same folders I had opened before on the left panel, then on the right panel, and drive combo-box would stop responding. More so, this issue would re-occur very frequently, when one of the panels is being used to access attached android device (with MTP) thru computer drive overview.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here it happened after entering a password in one specific program. This program installed a keyboard hook which incorrectly intercepted the key codes which should have been sent to the combobox.