ignore deletion of empty directories in "synchronize directories" feature

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wcx

ignore deletion of empty directories in "synchronize directories" feature

Post by *wcx »

When I compare directories and from the toolbar I select only those files that are equal I am able to select individual files or even all and then via context menu I can delete them either on left or right side. I understand that when there is no more file left in a certain directory then TC will delete the directory too.

Is it possible to disable this behavior? I am running TC on a virtualized environment hosted on Unix while I use it to compare directories on Unix filesystem. I understand it is not properly tested or even supported but interface of TC is simply something I cannot replace or want to get rid of. I remember in the past that I've discovered some directories or files that TC was not able to display probably in the Guest OS either because of virtiualization layer / permissions or maybe other interfering technology.
Because of this I realized it may be unsafe to let TC to handle directories if he cannot properly validate whether they are really empty or not. Additionally, I do not know what kind of "delete" action executed by TC reaches the end-file on Unix level while going through all of the layers (Guest OS/emulation...).
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: ignore deletion of empty directories in "synchronize directories" feature

Post by *Dalai »

I don't know if I understand you correctly, but you can just disable "Empty directories" in TC's Synchronize directories.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: ignore deletion of empty directories in "synchronize directories" feature

Post by *petermad »

I understand that when there is no more file left in a certain directory then TC will delete the directory too.
That is a misconception. It looks like the directory is deleted, because it is not in the lists of the sync tool anymore, after deleting the files.

If you enable "Empty directories", before you click Synchronize, then you will still be able to see the directory, where you deleted the files from.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar