F5/F6 keys

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Zygus

F5/F6 keys

Post by *Zygus »

Hello. Android supports external keyboards and I have a pleasure to use such combination - set top box with android connected to HD monitor with keyboard and mouse - can You extend F5/F6 keys support so if I press F5 then copy window will have copy button focused automatically and the same for F6 but move button instead? Currently both F5 and F6 keys behave the same way and I need to choose copy or move operation manually from opened dialog. Additionally DEL key is not doing anything, but I expect to has the same behaviour as F8.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: F5/F6 keys

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The OSD doesn't have the F1..F12 keys, so TC currently uses the number keys instead.
Total Commander does listen to F key events, e.g. KeyEvent.KEYCODE_F2, but they are not triggered when I press the key in the emulator.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Zygus

Post by *Zygus »

F5 and F6 opens copy/move dialog but none of button in dialog are focused. Path name is probably focused so when I tap down arrow then move button is selected. F8 key initiate delete files action with delete button already selected so what is left is to press enter button on keyboard. TAB switches panels.
I am not sure what You mean F5/F6 are not triggered.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting, so it works with a real keyboard? I can only test with the Android emulator, here it doesn't react to F keys.

Indeed the target path gets focused in the copy dialog. You can jump to the copy button with TAB and directly to the move button with ENTER.
Zygus

Post by *Zygus »

Currently on BlueStack no issues. Earlier on Memu and I think it still was working. Just checked on my Huawei phone with OTG support. I can say I am surprised that 5 and 6 keys are working as well. So maybe the emulator was the one not supporting function keys properly.
Bavaria

Post by *Bavaria »

Hi,
I have an Android device with a physical keyboard - the Pro1 from F(X)Tec .
Before I had the Gemini PDA and the Cosmo Communicator from Planet Computers.
And before that I had a Motorola Droid.
All these devices have a physical keyboard but no dedicated function keys.
I always used and I am still using Total Commander for Android as file manager on all my Android devices.
I can confirm, that TC reacts on some of the number keys.
  • #1 - no reaction
  • #2 - opens the file rename dialogue for the selected or for the highlighted file.
    If no file is selected or highlighted, the file rename dialogue also opens with a file, but I never found out, what rule is used to choose a file.
  • #3, #4 - no reaction
  • #5, #6 - a file selected or highlighted: TC opens the copy / move dialogue
    no file selected: TC shows a message, that no file is selected
  • #7 - TC opens the new folder dialogue
  • #8 - file selected or highlighted: TC opens the confirmation dialogue to delete the selected or highlighted file
    no file selected: TC shows the message, that nothing is selected
  • #9 - TC opens a dialogue to configure the sorting of the active list.
  • #0 - TC "jumps" to the last file in the folder, no matter if anything is selected of highlighted.
Because of the android devices I am using, this behavior of Total Commander is great.
If #3 would open a selected file with something like the "Lister", that would be even greater.
And if #4 would open a selected file with an editor, that would really be perfect. :D

Thank you Christian for the Total Commander.
WinCommander / TotalCommander User seit Version 2; TC for Android user
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 should be the file under the cursor. You can only see the cursor when navigating with the keyboard (e.g. cursor keys).
#3 does indeed nothing, there is currently no built-in viewer.
#4 should open the file under the cursor in the text editor. It does nothing when there is no current file, even if there are selected files.