Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: Stefan2, white, Hacker

User avatar
Damel
Member
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: 2003-02-06, 01:11 UTC
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *Damel »

Dalai wrote: 2022-06-28, 12:58 UTC
Damel wrote: 2022-06-28, 12:41 UTCless than 2 files -> nothing
- there is no need to do anything because the function Compare By Content... is supposed to compare 2 files, and in this example, the condition is not met
It seems like you think it's a bad idea/behavior that TC automatically selects the file with the same name in the opposite panel for comparison when only one file (or none at all) is selected. If it were implemented like you suggest it would be really annoying because I use that feature a LOT! And I don't think I'm the only one. Not having to select files is one of the time-savers in such scenarios.

Regards
Dalai
No no, I didn't write about the comparison of file with the name-twin in the other panel for simplification only, sorry I misled you with that.
The best solution:
1. format C:
2. install TotalCmd
3. install Windows (optionally)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 787
Joined: 2020-01-18, 04:03 UTC

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *Fla$her »

Damel wrote: 2022-06-28, 12:41 UTCOptionally:
There will be no ambiguity with [Compare Directories], but with [Synchronize Dirs] I don't see a fundamental difference in the choice of [..] or folders.
Therefore, my list of questions remains relevant.
User avatar
Damel
Member
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: 2003-02-06, 01:11 UTC
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *Damel »

Corrected (in regards to Dalai remark)

File under cursor has a name-twin in the other panel -> Compare By Content... them or else do nothing
1 file is selected and it has a name-twin in the other panel -> Compare By Content... them or else do nothing
2 or more files selected -> Compare By Content... the two topmost files

- there is no need to do anything when the file under cursor or the only one selected has no name-twin in the other panel because the function Compare By Content... is supposed to compare 2 files, and in this example, the condition is not met
- and doesn't matter what is in the selection (eg 1 file and X folders), no 2 files (selected or with existing name-twin) -> no action

New:
[..] is in the selection with at least 1 file -> Exclude [..] from the selection and Compare By Content... the two topmost files (or if only 1 file is left selected and has a name-twin in the other panel)

Optionally:
[..] (selected or with the cursor on it BUT without any 2 files selected) -> Synchronize Dirs... or Compare Directories
The best solution:
1. format C:
2. install TotalCmd
3. install Windows (optionally)
User avatar
Damel
Member
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: 2003-02-06, 01:11 UTC
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *Damel »

Fla$her wrote: 2022-06-28, 19:45 UTC
Damel wrote: 2022-06-28, 12:41 UTCOptionally:
There will be no ambiguity with [Compare Directories], but with [Synchronize Dirs] I don't see a fundamental difference in the choice of [..] or folders.
Therefore, my list of questions remains relevant.
No, if you select some folders and call Synchronize Dirs then only content in these selected directories is compared with content or selection in the other panel.

And behold! In that example, the [..] is already excluded from the list. Try for yourself.
The best solution:
1. format C:
2. install TotalCmd
3. install Windows (optionally)
User avatar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 8415
Joined: 2005-01-28, 22:17 UTC
Location: Meiningen (Südthüringen)

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *Dalai »

Damel wrote: 2022-06-28, 20:02 UTC- there is no need to do anything when the file under cursor or the only one selected has no name-twin in the other panel because the function Compare By Content... is supposed to compare 2 files, and in this example, the condition is not met
I disagree. How do you know if TC has processed your input? Keep in mind that the menu "Compare by Content" isn't the only way to start the comparison. The associated command can also be called via button or key combination (hotkey). You press some hotkey and nothing happens. Is the keyboard working OK? Or is the file selection "wrong"? You can't tell. There needs to some kind of feedback. TC currently provides such feedback by opening the "Compare by Content" window, and that's better than an error message saying that the selection is bad, because it also allows to correct the mistake via its browse buttons (but it can also be closed via ESC).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo - Download-Mirror
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 787
Joined: 2020-01-18, 04:03 UTC

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *Fla$her »

2Damel
We're talking about smart implementation (which you're allegedly saluting), not current behavior. If we discard the moment I indicated with the call of the comparison dialog in any conditions for customization in it, its call when choosing folders looks as illogical as for [..]. [..] is identified with the current directory, that is, if we press Enter, the cursor will stand on this folder. It will be the same folder selection. This is an analogy.
In the case of a script, don't have to call an internal command, for this there is a TC call with /S=S:=.
User avatar
Damel
Member
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: 2003-02-06, 01:11 UTC
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *Damel »

Dalai wrote: 2022-06-28, 20:39 UTC
Damel wrote: 2022-06-28, 20:02 UTC- there is no need to do anything when the file under cursor or the only one selected has no name-twin in the other panel because the function Compare By Content... is supposed to compare 2 files, and in this example, the condition is not met
I disagree. How do you know if TC has processed your input? Keep in mind that the menu "Compare by Content" isn't the only way to start the comparison. The associated command can also be called via button or key combination (hotkey). You press some hotkey and nothing happens. Is the keyboard working OK? Or is the file selection "wrong"? You can't tell. There needs to some kind of feedback. TC currently provides such feedback by opening the "Compare by Content" window, and that's better than an error message saying that the selection is bad, because it also allows to correct the mistake via its browse buttons (but it can also be closed via ESC).

Regards
Dalai
I understand (hotkey-guy myself), but I think TC users are intelligent (enough to handle that situation). And I don't prefer the leading by hand approach even in basic situations personally, makes that feeling that programmer thought users are stupid. They are, some, but there is a bar to be set sensitively.

If you want some feedback anyway, then count for error-ous calls and when counter is >1 or 2, and only then, show an error msg, something like
[First select the files you want to compare]
The best solution:
1. format C:
2. install TotalCmd
3. install Windows (optionally)
User avatar
Damel
Member
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: 2003-02-06, 01:11 UTC
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *Damel »

Dalai wrote: 2022-06-28, 20:39 UTC
Damel wrote: 2022-06-28, 20:02 UTC- there is no need to do anything when ... the condition is not met
How do you know if TC has processed your input? You press some hotkey and nothing happens. Is the keyboard working OK? Or is the file selection "wrong"? You can't tell. There needs to some kind of feedback.
Synchronize Directories -> View left (right) file which doesn't exist -> TC also do nothing - so it would be consistent behaviour for the situation when the condition was just not met.
The best solution:
1. format C:
2. install TotalCmd
3. install Windows (optionally)
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 847
Joined: 2004-07-08, 08:58 UTC

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *JOUBE »

Actually, I wanted to stay out of this pointless discussion in between.

Because the behavior of the Tc is perfect in "Compare by content" module and in the "Synchronize Dirs" module and in "Search" module and should not be changed.

Dalai tried to explain it here in detail and several times.

With further employment and getting to know the TC further, some of the posters here in this thread have meanwhile already understood it or will understand it.

The Tc gives perfect feedback at that modules and is optimized for speed, understanding and logical behavior.

Everything else you can have somewhere else: explorer and others...

JO"Use the Tc and learn it and you will understand, how it works"UBE
User avatar
Damel
Member
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: 2003-02-06, 01:11 UTC
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *Damel »

2JO"unnecessarily arrogant"UBE:

The proposed enhancement will not alter how you use TC and its behaviour for you.
It has unquestionable potential to enhance the experience for some users tho.
The best solution:
1. format C:
2. install TotalCmd
3. install Windows (optionally)
User avatar
white
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 3339
Joined: 2003-11-19, 08:16 UTC
Location: Netherlands

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *white »

Moderator message from: white » 2022-07-01, 21:11 UTC

No insults please. JOUBE already received his first warning. If you have a problem with a member please send an e-mail to a moderator or to Ghisler.
mmm
Member
Member
Posts: 120
Joined: 2020-08-10, 12:32 UTC

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *mmm »

Last summer I was watching closely Damel's attempts to convey his remarks on [..] selection and more ...

The time has come to raise a non-rhetorical question:
What is the outcome of these 56 posts other than a couple of abrasive contributions?

Please speak to me in plain words.

If the correct answer is "nothing", what is the point of this forum?
User avatar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 44426
Joined: 2003-02-04, 09:46 UTC
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

When [..] is selected, the first of the two files is undefined, so the edit box is empty. You can then use >> to pick a file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
mmm
Member
Member
Posts: 120
Joined: 2020-08-10, 12:32 UTC

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *mmm »

The point of this conversation had been lost I am afraid.

Thanks anyway.

I consider this thread closed now.
Post Reply