Synchronize Dirs - enhanced feature to move items

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

georgeb

Synchronize Dirs - enhanced feature to move items

Post by *georgeb »

As a spin-off of a current discussion about how to generalize and strengthen the capabilities of the "Synchronize Dirs"-process in the future the idea/need of/for a small improvement has come up that would assumingly be most simple to implement: In the "Synchronize"-pop-up window please add an option to Move instead of copying the selected items (either to the other side as by default or to any arbitrary path one may enter into the "Left to right"- or "Right to left"-mask respectively).

In other words by such an option (button "Move" or just a checkbox "move selected items") the selected items would be deleted from their original location after a successful copying-operation. This might be helpful for file-/data-consolidation between folders.
algol

Re: Synchronize Dirs - enhanced feature to move items

Post by *algol »

Really no support for this feature?

I've been looking for such a move-option in SyncDir for years now. So from my perspective:

support +++

Oh, and a happy New Year to all!
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

I have too faced this issue a couple of times. Needing to move all different files from one side to a different folder (other than the destination). It would be a nice addition.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
HalbschuhTouri

Post by *HalbschuhTouri »

Support +++

I often have that problem, too! Current workaround is to copy (via Synchronize-button) and then (by right mouse-click) having to delete the source-side. But most of you already knew that, right? Still it's an inconvenience that there is no direct move-option.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Perhaps this could be an option in the middle field (the one with the arrow) of each file. None, copy left/right, move left/right.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
georgeb

Post by *georgeb »

wanderer wrote: 2023-01-30, 06:03 UTCPerhaps this could be an option in the middle field (the one with the arrow) of each file. None, copy left/right, move left/right.
Certainly a possibility. But perhaps a little prone to error with all those clicking-options. Best solution IMHO would still be a "Move"-option/check-box (not unlike how the current Android-version handles this) in the final "Synchronize"-dialog beneath the "Left-to-right" and "Right-to-left"-categories, if checked replacing (standard) "copy", thereby avoiding simultaneous copying and moving in one step which, as I'm afraid, could turn out to be a bit risky.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

georgeb wrote: 2023-01-31, 12:28 UTCCertainly a possibility. But perhaps a little prone to error with all those clicking-options. Best solution IMHO would still be a "Move"-option/check-box (not unlike how the current Android-version handles this) in the final "Synchronize"-dialog beneath the "Left-to-right" and "Right-to-left"-categories, if checked replacing (standard) "copy", thereby avoiding simultaneous copying and moving in one step which, as I'm afraid, could turn out to be a bit risky.
Less flexible, more safe. OK then, let's go with that as a proposal...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
georgeb

Post by *georgeb »

wanderer wrote: 2023-01-31, 14:04 UTCLess flexible, more safe. OK then, let's go with that as a proposal...
Well, your proposal is as good and valid as mine. I could live with both solutions and would prefer them both over the current state anytime. I just felt like mentioning that mixed copying/moving might turn out to be a bit tricky. :wink: