Sync Change Dir with Tabs?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

magog

Sync Change Dir with Tabs?

Post by *magog »

Hi all - long time tcmd user here.

I often browse parallel directory structures, so cm_SyncChangeDir is one of my favourite features of tcmd.

Sometimes in the middle of browsing, I want to look up something in another directory, so I open a new tab in one panel. In my ideal universe, the synched browsing would "pause" while the new tab is open, and then resume when I return to the oribinal tab. But unfortunately cm_SyncChangeDir isn't tab-aware.

So if I want to temporarily pause a synchronized browsing session, I have to do the following:
  1. open a new tab
  2. toggle off cm_SyncDirChange
  3. ...do whatever in the new tab...
  4. close the new tab
  5. navigate to the original tab
  6. make sure the directories are correct
  7. toggle on cm_SyncDirChange
What I would like is for tcmd to remember which directories are currently set to synchronize changed dirs.

I know the idea of two-panel tabs was discussed and dismissed back when tabs were still under development, but here's a thought: Linked tabs!

Linked tabs would have the following features:
  • two tabs, one in the source panel and one in the target.
  • maybe both the same colour?
  • when you switch to one of the linked tabs, in either window tcmd automatically switches to the corresponding tab in the other panel
  • cm_SyncChangeDir is a setting local to these two linked tabs
What I like about this idea is that it really fits in well with the OFM model, where you often deal with pairs of directories rather than single directories.

While I'm on the topic of cm_SyncChangeDir, there's one small feature that would make it immediately much more useful to me and that is: when you press "back" or "forward" in either panel, both directories go back or forward through their histories.

Apologies for the long rambly post. Thanks, and please carry on.

Michael
igarny

Re: Sync Change Dir with Tabs?

Post by *igarny »

I would like to fully support this feature request
I am a big fan and a supporter of Total Commander for years and unfortunately it is just now, that I find this post.

Thank you for your great work!
Ivan
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Sync Change Dir with Tabs?

Post by *petermad »

Support++ for cm_SyncChangeDir to be tab-aware.

As for the Linked tabs feature - that should already be doable using View Modes with Auto Switch Mode and the APPENDTABS command.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar