Missing treeinfo.wc file

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rahreg

Missing treeinfo.wc file

Post by *rahreg »

Hi All,

I wanted to search all the treeinfo.wc files on all drives (local and mapped) for a dir that contains a word in it. I saw that some drives didn't have a treeinfo.wc file so I built them all. Then I noticed that some drives still didn't have it. When I pressed Alt+F10 again to auto build it, the tree immediately came up. I searched the drive using Alt+F7 across all drives on the computer and it only found the one on the D drive, not the C drive which is the one that's missing.

This is TC 8.01/9.12 and TreeFileLocation is not in the ini file. I added TreeUpdateLimit=4096 to it and restarted TC thinking that I hit the limit since it's the OS drives on more than one computer this seems to be happening to but that's when I pressed Alt+F10 and saw that the tree popped up even though I can't find the file. I am logged in with administrator rights for these computers when I build the trees.

Is the tree done differently for the OS drive?

Any ideas how the tree is popping up if the file isn't in the root?

TIA
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Missing treeinfo.wc file

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

rahreg wrote: 2023-02-01, 16:40 UTCThis is TC 8.01/9.12
How about updating to 10.52?

Version 8.01 is 11(!) years old and 9.12 is 6 years old....
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

If you search TC's help file for "treeinfo.wc" you'll find the section "Show directory tree" which says:
After reading the directory structure, the tree is saved in the file treeinfo.wc in the root directory of the drive - if writeable - otherwise in %LOCALAPPDATA%\GHISLER\ on NT based systems.
In short, treeinfo.wc is only saved in a volume's root if the user running TC has write permissions there. In all other cases TC saves the files in %LocalAppData%\Ghisler - unless a specific location is set via TreeFileLocation (and optionally TreeFileLocationE/TreeFileLocation__server_share), as described in TC's help file, section 4.b.

By default, only administrators are allowed to write a file to the system volume's root, hence treeinfo.wc file will not be written there if TC is run as regular user.

2Sir_SiLvA
Suggesting an update is OK, but please keep in mind that there might be reasons for not doing so. I myself have reasons to stay with 8.52a, checking new versions out of interest only on occasion. But that's OT anyway.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
rahreg

Post by *rahreg »

Thanks Dalai!!

And thanks for quoting the help file because I don't have that quote in either versions help file for that section. I went to that dir and sure enough it's there, BUT it's called treeinfoC.wc (with a C not a c), not treeinfo.wc which explains why the search didn't find it.

I'm surprised I can't write to the root since my account has administrator rights but it doesn't matter. I eventually got what I needed and mystery solved.

BTW, do you know if there is any way to automate rebuilding the tree? That can come in handy for me at times.

Thanks again.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

rahreg wrote: 2023-02-01, 20:56 UTCAnd thanks for quoting the help file because I don't have that quote in either versions help file for that section.
It looks like this help section was updated in TC 10.0 to include the piece of information about %LocalAppData%. Older TC versions behaved the same, just the help file got an update.
I went to that dir and sure enough it's there, BUT it's called treeinfoC.wc (with a C not a c), not treeinfo.wc which explains why the search didn't find it.
Should have added that. Each treeinfo.wc file for each volume needs to have a unique name, of course, and what better way to add the volume drive letter.
I'm surprised I can't write to the root since my account has administrator rights but it doesn't matter.
No, it doesn't by default. The user account might be member of the administrators group, but administrator rights are only granted after confirmation. This is what the whole UAC (user account control) and "run as administrator" thing is all about.
BTW, do you know if there is any way to automate rebuilding the tree?
No, sorry, I don't use the directory tree at all (and it annoys me when I accidentally open it and have to delete the treeinfo.wc files manually).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Dalai wrote: 2023-02-01, 21:43 UTC No, sorry, I don't use the directory tree at all (and it annoys me when I accidentally open it and have to delete the treeinfo.wc files manually).
In that case, perhaps you should make it a 0-byte file and make it read-only. Then the file doesn't change and Directory Tree (Alt+F10) doesn't work.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

No, sorry, I don't use the directory tree at all (and it annoys me when I accidentally open it and have to delete the treeinfo.wc files manually).
If you use 'Everything' and enable the 'Everything' option in the Directory tree dialog (Alf+F10), then the treeinfo.wc files will not be created at all.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

white wrote: 2023-02-01, 22:28 UTCIn that case, perhaps you should make it a 0-byte file and make it read-only.
Well, I don't want to have these files in the volume roots at all. Maybe I should set a different location via TreeFileLocation. Or perhaps I should remap Alt+F10... We'll see the next time it bothers me.
petermad wrote: 2023-02-01, 23:44 UTCIf you use 'Everything' and enable the 'Everything' option in the Directory tree dialog (Alf+F10), then the treeinfo.wc files will not be created at all.
I looked at Everything a while ago and as soon as I realized that I have to learn a new search syntax (which I'm not willing to do) to use it efficiently and really take advantage of it, I stopped investigating further. I'm one of the people that needs knobs and dials to set search parameters.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Dalai wrote: 2023-02-02, 14:56 UTC
petermad wrote: 2023-02-01, 23:44 UTCIf you use 'Everything' and enable the 'Everything' option in the Directory tree dialog (Alf+F10), then the treeinfo.wc files will not be created at all.
I looked at Everything a while ago and as soon as I realized that I have to learn a new search syntax (which I'm not willing to do) to use it efficiently and really take advantage of it, I stopped investigating further. I'm one of the people that needs knobs and dials to set search parameters.

Regards
Dalai
To use Everything in the TC Tree info there is no need to learn any of its Syntax rules.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Dalai,
I'm one of the people that needs knobs and dials to set search parameters.
Those are there under Search - Advanced Search.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.