File Find / Search for Duplicates: Search below both Panels

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

georgeb

File Find / Search for Duplicates: Search below both Panels

Post by *georgeb »

Since it is possible to enter 2 or more paths (separated by a semicolon) to the "Search in"-field of the search mask it would ease the input of those paths (which to extract first can be a bit cumbersome) if a simple checkbox could be added or an additional entry to the "Select Drives"-button-list that would allow to start the search between/below the directories currently set in the left AND the right file-panel.

So if for instance you would like to search for duplicates on different drives but would rather not search the entire drives C:\ and D:\ yet only between certain specific sub-Dirs thereof instead (e.g. where backups might be located) it would simplify the entry of those parent-Dirs to start the search from a lot if one could simply select both of them by setting them as active and inactive file-panel (left & right) each instead of having to extract (let alone typing in) both starting-paths first and then copying them together into the "Search in"-field of the search mask.
jinsight

Re: File Find / Search for Duplicates: Search below both Panels

Post by *jinsight »

Support ++
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Support++
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Support++
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
algol

Post by *algol »

Support++
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Support++++++
#146217 personal license
HalbschuhTouri

Post by *HalbschuhTouri »

Support +++
aleksazr

Post by *aleksazr »

I support this also, since I often have to search for files containing string in both left AND right panels, so I have to do it twice.
A check box "Search both panels" would simplify this.
algol

Post by *algol »

Now that a new beta-test is underway it would be an excellent opportunity to implement the above-mentioned enhancement as it has had considerable support in the forum and would be really kind'a "cheap" to implement while at the same time making things a lot easier, especially when it comes to duplicate-file-search between different sub-trees (on different drives for example).
Eugensyl2

Post by *Eugensyl2 »

aleksazr wrote: 2023-03-05, 12:06 UTC I support this also, since I often have to search for files containing string in both left AND right panels, so I have to do it twice.
A check box "Search both panels" would simplify this.
Maybe a way to select more tabs from one single panel can generate the same result as from both panel.
I think that's the simplest way.
Of course, every tab can have a different path.

Based on List of all tabs (cm_SrcTabsList) that already exist, into contextual menu a new item must be add that can "feed to listbox" the list of tabs, exacly like the search result. Than from there you can select all paths you want to search duplicates or anything else.

Hey, don't became warm!
It's just a suggestion. :)

I'm curious who will agree this suggestion or it's missing something.
algol

Post by *algol »

Eugensyl2 wrote: 2023-05-30, 18:33 UTC Maybe a way to select more tabs from one single panel can generate the same result as from both panel.
I think that's the simplest way.
Of course, every tab can have a different path.
Maybe it could, from a practical point of view of users probably so, but I'm afraid it's not so easy. While both the active and inactive panel point to a well-defined location/path at a given point in time this is not the case for inactive-(/background)-tabs within the same (active) panel. Only the active tab of the active panel points to a defined location directly (and so does the active tab of the inactive panel) - whereas there may be a dozen of inactive-/background-tabs within one panel. So which one is it? Which one of the - possibly - many inactive-/background-tabs from the same panel is going to provide the second (third?) path/sub-tree for the planned search to take place underneath? In each panel there is the active tab - but none of the other inactive-/background-tabs would take some kind of second-priority-status after that. They all have equal (non-)priority-status. Whereas the active tab of the INACTIVE PANEL DOES HAVE some kind of second-priority-status and therefore would be the ideal candidate to provide the second path/parent-Dir for the search,
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Find duplicates in specific folders (no matter the filename) - user: milo1012

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
%COMMANDER_EXE%
/O /S=F:L"_duplicates" "%P;%T"
wcmicons.dll,47
Start search with both paths preselected and "find duplicates" --> preset name: _duplicates || Find Files (separate)|Source: Find duplicates in specific folders (no matter the filename)|https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=300755#p300755

Create a Button in the Buttonbar (copy/paste CODE)
  1. Click on "SELECT ALL" (to the right of CODE:), then press CTRL+C (copy to clipboard).
  2. Right-click on any place in the button bar, then click on "Paste".
     ⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺
  3. Option1: Point to the new button (slightly longer): 'Tooltip' is shown (-> description to the button).
                  A maximum of 259 characters is allowed for the tooltip. | = create line break, || = create | as separator character.
  4. Option2: Button bar - "Tooltip" field: A single space deactivates the display of the tooltip.
                  If the "Tooltip" field is empty, the content of the "Command" field is displayed.
  5. Option3: See FAQs and explanation: Button-code (TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA)  <-- <Ctrl+click on the link...>
This topic is SOLVED! - georgeb » 13.10.2023 14:06