Dark mode - "Spinner" controls are not displayed correctly

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

GrinGrin

Dark mode - "Spinner" controls are not displayed correctly

Post by *GrinGrin »

Hi all !

I just tried the dark mode in TC (v10.00) and tuned a bit to my taste :P. I then found that up/down spinners are not correctly displayed :
Image: https://1drv.ms/u/s!An6C8VpyNeOejrILzdwEBHuwYmGtwA?e=y2OvJW

On hover, the control is correctly displayed :
Image: https://1drv.ms/u/s!An6C8VpyNeOejrIM7dFAgnVsNod4HA?e=O4wM2h

It can be seen in multiple settings pages, and maybe in some other dialogs.
All instances of this kind of control in an enabled state has this issue, disabled controls are correctly displayed. Standard scrollbars are correctly displayed.
I also reverted the configuration to the defaults and also tried the latest 10.50 beta8, but it is the same :(

Lastly, may I suggest to add scrollbars/spinners the list of colors the user can change or at least align the backgroun with the defaut dark mode background color?
Ragards,
Nicolas.

TC user since 1996, License: #265199
Plugins: Imagine, CudaLister, json/csv/xmltab
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Dark mode - "Spinner" controls are not displayed correctly

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-04-24, 08:08 UTC They are not actually spin controls, they are just scrollbars. I'm looking for a replacement because Windows 11 doesn't display the up/down triangles until you move the mouse over the control, which is very unfortunate.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately I could not find a better solution. There is a dedicated "UpDown" common control, but it's much worse than the scrollbar. It only works with fixed minimums and maximums, and it can't be controlled via keyboard. Try for example the "Not older than" field in search: Instead of typing a number, you can press Tab to switch the focus to the "spin control" and then use up/down arrows.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
GrinGrin

Post by *GrinGrin »

white wrote: 2022-06-04, 17:44 UTC
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-04-24, 08:08 UTC They are not actually spin controls, they are just scrollbars. I'm looking for a replacement because Windows 11 doesn't display the up/down triangles until you move the mouse over the control, which is very unfortunate.
Oops ! missed this one, sorry :oops:
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-06-05, 07:22 UTC Unfortunately I could not find a better solution. There is a dedicated "UpDown" common control, but it's much worse than the scrollbar. It only works with fixed minimums and maximums, and it can't be controlled via keyboard. Try for example the "Not older than" field in search: Instead of typing a number, you can press Tab to switch the focus to the "spin control" and then use up/down arrows.
Thanks for the clarification!

I've just switched back to light mode to realize that arrows are also hidden by default (I don't change TC configuration as frequently to notice that :P )... It's even worst than in dark mode as control background is the same as the window and is totally invisible until the user hover it :? Really, what went throught their minds at MS ?! :shock:

I think that the famous "auto-hide" toolbar Microsoft implemented some time ago is the culprit :evil:

I've tried to change that in Windows settings (Easy of access/ Display / Auto hide scrollbars on Win10 | Accessibility / Visual effects / Always show scrollbars on Win11) but it seems that all apps does not always apply this setting (Explorer and TC does not apply it but Notepad did)
Even with that, I doubt that many users will change this by themselves...

Maybe there is a way to control this behaviour at the control's level and force those scrollbars to be always visible ?
Ragards,
Nicolas.

GrinGrin

Post by *GrinGrin »

GrinGrin wrote: 2022-06-05, 09:54 UTC I've tried to change that in Windows settings (Easy of access/ Display / Auto hide scrollbars on Win10 | Accessibility / Visual effects / Always show scrollbars on Win11) but it seems that all apps does not always apply this setting (Explorer and TC does not apply it but Notepad did)
Ok, after more reading, the difference is on what control is used: explorer use Win32 control, Notepad use UWP control :roll:
Ragards,
Nicolas.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, for now there is no solution.

Moderator message

Moved to "will not be changed"
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
iteg

TC 10.52 64 bit, dark mode - Incorrect drawing of spin buttons.

Post by *iteg »

All dialogs display black rectangles instead of spin buttons. Arrows are drawn when the mouse cursor is hovered over.
https://dropmefiles.com/37Cse
Windows 11 22H2 x64 dark mode.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC 10.52 64 bit, dark mode - Incorrect drawing of spin buttons.

Post by *white »

Moderator message from: white » 2023-03-06, 08:52 UTC

iteg wrote: 2023-03-06, 07:21 UTC
Merged with this thread.