Why "Windows search" is not available in TC?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

obmana

Why "Windows search" is not available in TC?

Post by *obmana »

I'm on latest beta, and read about various search improvements with newly introduced Everything wrapper. Improved search is always a plus, and TC search interface is very powerful tool, allowing even regex in Office file content, or plugins embedded search.

OTOH, personally I use Windows search a lot, for contents search. I have indexed several locations and I'm very satisfied with this indexer. I use Windows 10, but I've use Windows search from it's introduction in XP if I'm not mistaken. I press Win+S, type search terms and select search type to see immediate results, or I just open File explorer to do the same. Query syntax is also very powerful, thou not necessary for casual search.

However these results can not be filtered in TC panel, as Windows search does not have implemented interface in TC nor in plugins. I guess there is some fundamental problem why this is, as I know that Windows search provides API.

For example, for searching contents of PDF files, I could try xpdf plugin and do TC search, but unless I'm searching for content in couple of files, this would be bad idea, aside from xpdf being rather primitive as it uses xpdf to convert content to text inplace and simply do search, it would be slower on exponential magnitude. Similarly for other formats that have dedicated IFilter in Windows search.

Can someone comment why Windows search is not available in TC?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I didn't see any benefit in integrating Windows search into TC, because it requires indexing, and doesn't support many of the features in TC search. Why not use Windows search directly?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
obmana

Post by *obmana »

I'm using it directly, as I mentioned. As a TC user, I could occasionally benefit of further filtering by TC features, in search listbox.
I didn't see any benefit in integrating Windows search into TC, because it requires indexing...
Windows search indexing is enabled by default, so user already has indexed context which could potentially be used.
...and doesn't support many of the features in TC search
IMHO, it could be perfectly implemented as plugin search.
milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *milo1012 »

obmana wrote:IMHO, it could be perfectly implemented as plugin search.
Not really, as wdx plug-ins can't be set up "on-the-fly", i.e. they have constant field functions as long as they are loaded.
So if you'd want to alter any search option, you'd need to reload the plug-in or restart TC for that.
There were suggestions to implement such wdx config, but it's not implemented so far.

obmana wrote:aside from xpdf being rather primitive as it uses xpdf to convert content to text inplace and simply do search
What makes you think that xpdf is inferior to the Windows parser?
Parsing PDF isn't easy. I tested quite a lot of PDF text parsers, including any filter you can use for the Windows search, and all have their share of problems (yes, even the Adobe official filter).
TC plugins: PCREsearch and RegXtract
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I don't see how 'Windows search' is much different from Everything in terms of supported search options. TC asks the third party search for a search result based on supported search options. Then TC filters the search results based on it's unique search options.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

obmana wrote:
I didn't see any benefit in integrating Windows search into TC, because it requires indexing...
Windows search indexing is enabled by default [...]
That's right.
[...] so user already has indexed context which could potentially be used.
No, it's not necessarily enabled for all the directories/places the user saves his/her data. IIRC this applies to all additional hard disks and/or partitions. In other words, in worst case it requires the user to manually add the directories in the indexing settings to make Windows index them.

So, yes, it requires indexing.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
obmana

Post by *obmana »

milo1012 wrote:
obmana wrote:aside from xpdf being rather primitive as it uses xpdf to convert content to text inplace and simply do search
What makes you think that xpdf is inferior to the Windows parser?
Parsing PDF isn't easy. I tested quite a lot of PDF text parsers, including any filter you can use for the Windows search, and all have their share of problems (yes, even the Adobe official filter).
I'm just saying what it is - xpdf extracts text and does plain text search, it does not have any indexing features (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_indexing), nor it claims that it has. I used it as example for pdf search possibilities in TC.
Dalai wrote:No, it's not necessarily enabled for all the directories/places the user saves his/her data. IIRC this applies to all additional hard disks and/or partitions. In other words, in worst case it requires the user to manually add the directories in the indexing settings to make Windows index them.
Sure. Same applies to File explorer - if you want to search for indexed content in a location that is not indexed you wont get results.
micheldc

Re: Why "Windows search" is not available in TC?

Post by *micheldc »

Sorry to wake up this topic, I am not clear to the benefic to use windows search with totalcmd.exe. Although, my question is totalcmd.exe does use windows search, currently? I am willing to disable that windows characteristic, because is using 15 GB of wasted space.

Thanks.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Please find here a detailed description including pictures:
- 14. Windows Search in Total Commander and 'Everything' -> from 'Everything' 1.5.0.1258a
- Pictures
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

micheldc wrote: 2023-03-14, 13:37 UTC Sorry to wake up this topic, I am not clear to the benefic to use windows search with totalcmd.exe. Although, my question is totalcmd.exe does use windows search, currently? I am willing to disable that windows characteristic, because is using 15 GB of wasted space.

Thanks.
As tuska already posted, you can use the Everything integration in TC to query the Windows index.

Since many versions of the Windows indexer you can configure what its indexed.
Its not wasted space if you often search for files by content.
Even on SDD volumes using an index is faster.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64