TC working on Linux

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

s4t

TC working on Linux

Post by *s4t »

More and more people switch to Linux lately as it becomes much more user-friendly and can run Windows stuff while Windows becomes less and less usable. And yes, you can use TC same way like in Windows. Just install Wine. Then do type in Terminal "cd ~/.wine/drive_c" and --BOOOM-- you are in virtual Windows ! Everything there is like in your standard Windows. Same disks C:, d: etc. Same Program Files. Same Commad Prompt and CMD commands.

So you can install TC there or any software and games (for games may be Bottles is even simpler, but you can install both). If your software will complain about some Windows component, you can copy it from real Windows to virtual Windows, and all works.

1) My 1st question is because Linux is a bit different OS, i do not know how to make several TCs instances work simultaneously and independently (each with its settings like i do in Windows where i run 7 different TC of different color on large screen 8k moinitors)? Just one TC running is not enough for me.

The problem is that tab content of Properties in Linux is a bit different than in Windows and i can not see how i can modify TC to start not like this "TotalCMD64.exe" but "TotalCMD64.exe /i=RedSettings.ini" for red TC, then "TotalCMD64.exe /i=GreenSettings.ini" for green TC etc.etc.etc which create different initial settings for the TC to start them clicking on their separate icons in task bar or desktop
Last edited by s4t on 2023-03-26, 03:32 UTC, edited 5 times in total.
s4t

Re: TC working on Linux

Post by *s4t »

2) The second question/problem is that after some time of use TC stops to go inside directories, launch EXE files or view/edit files but always shows the window with Properties of files or directories instead when you click on them. I am forced to close and start TC again (or just found another hack how avoid showing Properties and do what was asked: long right click on file/dir and open file/dir from appeared menu). What may cause this ? No other programs under Wine behave like this.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

s4t,
always shows the window with Properties of files or directories instead when you click on them
Sounds like the Alt key got stuck? Try pressing each Alt a few times when that happens, perhaps it gets unstuck.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
s4t

Post by *s4t »

Yes, this is exactly the same behavior as if ALT was stuck but alas, it is not stuck.

Sometimes when i hit F4 to edit some file the TC instead thinks this was Alt+F4 and exits :? . I also have Double Commander running under Linux and it never gets into this behavior when i hit F4. By the way i also do not know how to make several instances of DC running simultaneously with their own settings
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

s4t,
Well, maybe the OS thinks it is. Did pressing each Alt not work?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
NotNull

Post by *NotNull »

AutoHotKey is known to cause a (software) locked down ALT key from time to time.
(Last time I checked (2 years ago) there was no solution, other than rewrite the ALT behaviour of scripts.

Maybe you have some AHK scripts running in the background?
s4t

Post by *s4t »

Roman and NotNull
May be you are right. I have found one case in Notepad++ that it looked as if it was stuck until i pushed Alt few times. Will continue observations.
I do not use AutoHotKey but i use Alt+Tab very often.

UPDATE.
Indeed, pushing Alt few times solves the problem with Total Commander. But how this damn Alt stuck happen in my case?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

s4t,
But how this damn Alt stuck happen in my case?
That's "a question for the gods" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Roman
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

s4t wrote: 2023-03-24, 20:16 UTC More and more people switch to Linux lately as it becomes much more user-friendly...
This joke is being told since 30 years now and it's still not true. The most used OSes are windows and MacOS.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
s4t

Post by *s4t »

Depends on where it is installed. In Desktop, yes.

But If count all installs among all devices, then in 2019 "the leading Operating System in the OS Industry was Android with 39% global Operating System market share in 2019. Android is the leading mobile operating system. Android's Operating System market share is followed by Windows 10 with 21% OS market share"

Same in Servers, Linux is way leader there

And total misery for Windows lately is in supercomputers: in the top 500 supercomputer list only 1 Windows is left, the rest 499 are Linux

I think Linus Torvalds himself being now the major roadblock and embarrassment of mass Linux adoption. No way average dumb techno phobic user will ever adopt launching programs via Command prompt and with ./ before your program executable name :oops:
s4t

Post by *s4t »

Interesting is that solution against stutter of TC was found and for that you do not have to do anything besides taking Ubuntu into the trash and switch to much better Linux Mint.
s4t

Post by *s4t »

Alas, it appears the Mint also has the same fault.

SOLUTION COULD BE to remove hotkey combination ALT+LEFT CLICK from Total Commander because somehow it inherently conflicts with all Linux distributions. Who needs this never used hotkey combination ?

Other Commanders just safely avoided it and they do not conflict with Linux while TC does which is very very pity

DOABLE at lest to disable it ?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

SOLUTION COULD BE to remove hotkey combination ALT+LEFT CLICK
Does TC have any functions assigned to Alt+LeftClick ?
Last edited by petermad on 2023-04-20, 15:09 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

s4t wrote: 2023-03-29, 02:05 UTC Depends on where it is installed. In Desktop, yes.
And Desktop is the only thing that counts as TC is a DESKTOP app.
petermad wrote: 2023-04-20, 09:52 UTC
SOLUTION COULD BE to remove hotkey combination ALT+LEFT CLICK
Does TC has any functions assigned to Alt+LeftClick ?
#1 a solution to remove something is NOT a solution
#2 yes it does for the case that Configuration -> Operation -> Open files and directories With a single Click is turned on:
alt+leftclick = shows the property dialog of a file (otherwise its alt+double leftclick)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Sir_SiLvA
#2 yes it does for the case that Configuration -> Operation -> Open files and directories With a single Click is turned on:
alt+leftclick = shows the property dialog of a file (otherwise its alt+double leftclick)
Thanks for the info :-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar