Ressurecting old request - anattended copy/move

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

IlanSh

Ressurecting old request - anattended copy/move

Post by *IlanSh »

Scenario - copying huge amount of files (hundreds of thousands in my case).

Option to suppress ALL messages.
Option to decide in advance what to do with each case (i.e. what to do with unreadable files, what to do with over 256 long names....)
Option to keep log.

Also - if verify fails, option to re-copy the file!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Ressurecting old request - anattended copy/move

Post by *Fla$her »

Are the buttons based on FastCopy/robocopy not satisfied?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

IlanSh wrote: 2023-03-29, 17:56 UTC Scenario - copying huge amount of files (hundreds of thousands in my case).

Option to suppress ALL messages.
Option to decide in advance what to do with each case (i.e. what to do with unreadable files, what to do with over 256 long names....)
Option to keep log.

Also - if verify fails, option to re-copy the file!

Sounds like you may want to use simple DOS commands for this, best with an RoboCopy batch file.
TC can support you by providing automatically the source and the target folder to the script as parameter.
Next your new command is just an button click away.

IlanSh

Post by *IlanSh »

Stefan2 wrote: 2023-03-30, 14:43 UTC

Sounds like you may want to use simple DOS commands for this, best with an RoboCopy batch file.
TC can support you by providing automatically the source and the target folder to the script as parameter.

I suffer from a severe case of CLIphobia. Command prompts haunting my dreams.

I guess I am not alone at this.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

IlanSh wrote: 2023-03-31, 02:29 UTC
Stefan2 wrote: 2023-03-30, 14:43 UTC Sounds like you may want to use simple DOS commands for this, best with an RoboCopy batch file.
I suffer from a severe case of CLIphobia. Command prompts haunting my dreams.

I guess I am not alone at this.

This would be only one time work, next you would just click always only a button.

You could use it just next week, ... or you could wait till someone will do the work for you.

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

IlanSh wrote: 2023-03-31, 02:29 UTCI suffer from a severe case of CLIphobia. Command prompts haunting my dreams.
It's not a phobia, it's laziness. The CLI is needed for automation (you yourself used the magic word "Scenario"). TC also has a CLI.
FastCopy is a GUI + CLI. In any case, the CLI is needed to work with the selected files.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
IlanSh

Post by *IlanSh »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-03-31, 10:29 UTC It's not a phobia, it's laziness.
Stefan2 wrote: 2023-03-31, 06:10 UTC or you could wait till someone will do the work for you.

Thank you very much for your diagnosis. It bears no relevance to reality though.

As far as I understand, all of TC can be replaced with scripts. Such "answers" are both unhelpful and lack logic. As for me "looking for someone else do your work for you", I believe that's the point of using utility apps instead of writing them yourself.

Shame.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2IlanSh
Firstly, you did not answer my question from the second message in order to draw conclusions whether other solutions are suitable for you or not. Talk about the CLI here is completely groundless, the above explains why.
No, TC cannot be replaced entirely with scripts, but it is more than often used as a shell for them. I can say that I resort to TC functions and scripts during the day equally. These are additional, not mutually exclusive means.
Moreover, I didn't offer any scripts. I suggested a utility (an example of yesterday's button), where there is everything you requested. I.e. here and now you can get what you want without waiting for what in the near future (3-5 years) has a low probability of implementation.
Besides, TC won't give you the same speeds as FastCopy anyway, so it's not even an alternative, it's better than it could be.

As for long paths (260+), they are controlled via LongNameCopy key. Read the description in the help.
As for logging, all options are placed on the settings page Log File.
As for the suppression of messages, it is partial here. I support full. Somewhere there was even such a topic here, perhaps not even one.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
IlanSh

Post by *IlanSh »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-03-31, 21:39 UTC 2IlanSh
Firstly, you did not answer my question from the second message in order to draw conclusions whether other solutions are suitable for you or not. Talk about the CLI here is completely groundless, the above explains why.
No, TC cannot be replaced entirely with scripts, but it is more than often used as a shell for them. I can say that I resort to TC functions and scripts during the day equally. These are additional, not mutually exclusive means.
Moreover, I didn't offer any scripts. I suggested a utility (an example of yesterday's button), where there is everything you requested. I.e. here and now you can get what you want without waiting for what in the near future (3-5 years) has a low probability of implementation.
Besides, TC won't give you the same speeds as FastCopy anyway, so it's not even an alternative, it's better than it could be.

As for long paths (260+), they are controlled via LongNameCopy key. Read the description in the help.
As for logging, all options are placed on the settings page Log File.
As for the suppression of messages, it is partial here. I support full. Somewhere there was even such a topic here, perhaps not even one.
A. Thanks. I misunderstood you.
B. I'll download the utility you mentioned.