[TC 10.52] Context menu not showing proper entries

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

igor_levicki

[TC 10.52] Context menu not showing proper entries

Post by *igor_levicki »

I have noticed that right clicking on an empty background in a TC pane shows the context menu with entries from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell.

Windows Explorer on the other hand is showing entries from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\background\shell.

If I am not mistaken, entries from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell should be shown when user right-clicks on a folder item (i.e. folder name in the list), and the entries from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\background\shell should be shown if the user right-clicks on an empty folder background (which includes desktop background, which also has it's own dedicated background key).

It would be nice if TC would display proper entries depending on where you click.
igor_levicki

Re: [TC 10.52] Context menu not showing proper entries

Post by *igor_levicki »

Here are the steps to reproduce in case you want to test it:
  1. Import this into registry:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\background\shell\TEST1]
    @="TEST DIRECTORY BACKGROUND"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\TEST2]
    @="TEST DIRECTORY"

2. Open Windows Explorer
  3. Navigate to a root directory of your C:\ drive
  4. Right-click on the empty background -- you should see TEST DIRECTORY BACKGROUND option in the context menu
  5. Right-click on the Windows directory -- you should see TEST DIRECTORY option in the context menu
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

TC shows the context menu of the current directory when right-clicking "on empty space". The directorie's name is the first context menu item and usually highlighted in bold.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, it shows the context menu of the directory itself.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
igor_levicki

Post by *igor_levicki »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-04-07, 17:02 UTC Yes, it shows the context menu of the directory itself.
I am aware of that, I am just saying it's an incorrect behavior.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

igor_levicki wrote: 2023-04-12, 11:24 UTC
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-04-07, 17:02 UTC Yes, it shows the context menu of the directory itself.
I am aware of that, I am just saying it's an incorrect behavior.
There is no definition what context to show on white space.
Several tools including Explorer do it in their own way.
If you don't like TCs way make a suggestion.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
igor_levicki

Post by *igor_levicki »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-04-12, 11:54 UTCThere is no definition what context to show on white space.
Of course there is -- there is a separate registry key for that context menu and Explorer is using it.
Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-04-12, 11:54 UTCSeveral tools including Explorer do it in their own way.
I am not talking about other tools, I am talking about the official tool (Explorer) and official registry key.
Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-04-12, 11:54 UTCIf you don't like TCs way make a suggestion.
I think that's just what I did, no?

I reported what I consider incorrect behavior for folder background and suggested it should be done the same was Explorer does it.

There wouldn't be two distinct context menu registry keys for the folder itself and for its background if it wasn't intended to work that way.

Some folder context menu entries make sense in folder menu, some in background menu, and some in both (and those are usually registered in both).

What I am saying is that right now there is no way in TC to get to the context menu options defined for folder background only and I think that's bad -- we shouldn't have to switch from TC to Explorer just to be able to use options from background menu. There must be a better way.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Hmm the only items I see in Explorer's context menu for the empty background that are not visible also in TC's empty background context menu are "Show", "Sort by"and "Group by" which are all specific to Explorer, and then there is the item "Customize this folder", which is also accessible via the "Properties" entry.

2igor_levicki
What is it that you are missing in Explorers context menu, that you don't see in TC context menu?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
igor_levicki

Post by *igor_levicki »

@*petermad

It's not what I don't see, more like what I see.

I see all the options from the directory menu which shouldn't be there.

Also, by not separating directory menu from directory background menu like Windows Explorer, the TC encourages developers to register their context menu entries in both menus just so they are visible in TC as well.