Isn't it time to change the floppy icon ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

xxxl

Isn't it time to change the floppy icon ?

Post by *xxxl »

Isn't it time to change the floppy icon now? Young people don't even know what this symbol is.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Total Commander icon

Post by *Gral »

Well, now this is symbol of Total Commander :D
jinsight

Re: Total Commander icon

Post by *jinsight »

2xxxl Feel free to create some new icons and folks will start to use them. :D
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64
wetware05

Re: Isn't it time to change the floppy icon ?

Post by *wetware05 »

Hi.
In this video you can see the icon that I have not changed for Total commander. If TCM is pinned to the taskbar, it can be assigned a different icon than the application. Which is what I have done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npIccPN93KI

alternatives: https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=icon+floppy&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1886&bih=861&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

With "Iconlib" key you can set any icon for TC whether it's pinned to taskbar or not.
Icon is then used also in main window.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Gral wrote: 2023-05-28, 23:29 UTC With "Iconlib" key you can set any icon for TC whether it's pinned to taskbar or not.
Icon is then used also in main window.
That used to be the case :!:
I am not sure that this works anymore seeing that these days icon at index 0 (which was the icon for tc) is now
supposed to be the one for cm_RereadSource?
Hoecker sie sind raus!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The floppy icon is still widely used as a "file save" icon in many programs, including
- Microsoft Paint (part of Windows)
- Wordpad (part of Windows)
- Microsoft Office (e.g. Word)
- LibreOffice (Writer, Calc etc)
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Sir_SiLvA
I am not sure that this works anymore seeing that these days icon at index 0 (which was the icon for tc) is now
supposed to be the one for cm_RereadSource?
Iconlib= replaces the icons stored inside TC's exe file. It seems that you are talking about DefaultLib= in the [Buttonbar] section - it sets the iconlib for the two Buttonbars and the Main menu. The sandard DefaultLib is wcmicons.dll - which has the icon for cm_RereadSource as icon 0.

Try downloading this iconlib https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/totalcmd3.icl
Add this to the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini:
IconLib=%COMMANDER_PATH%\totalcmd3.icl
OldListIcons=1

Then TC's main icon wil be replaced.

If you set OldListIcons=0 for Explore style icons, the the replaced TC'icon will not be used.
If you want Explorer style icons in the filelists and A replaced TC icon, you nedd to make a full isonlib, including the Eplorer folder and file icons.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Sorry to going a bit OT to the original topic
2petermad
yeah that whole behavior of [Buttonbar] DefaultLib= & [Configuration] IconLib= seems very confusing...
(I expected to use [Buttonbar] DefaultLib= to set icons for menu/buttonbar, and [Configuration] IconLib= for folder/archive/etc icons....
in the end i figured tc&folder/file-icons = [Configuration] IconLib=my.icl and %commander_path%\Wcmicons.dll my own icl for cmds for the menu)

for exampled also unexpected behavior is when i use [Configuration] IconLib=[tc path]Wcicolib.icl an icl without icons for commands those icons are read from WCMICONS.DLL even when WCMICON2.DLL exists (yes u can name switch these icls to get the new symbols but that is not the point)
petermad wrote: 2023-05-29, 13:14 UTC If you want Explorer style icons in the filelists and A replaced TC icon, you nedd to make a full isonlib, including the Eplorer folder and file icons.
Is there any official(?) documentation somewhere in your vault how this icl has to be ordered because even the sample https://ghisler.fileburst.com/addons/wcicolib.zip does not have anything usefull in its readme concerning the position of the icons.
(all i got is 0 = tc icon, x icons for files/folders ? <- looking for a documentation for this)

{Even more OT - The english help file: [configuration] IconLib=... has a link to www.ghisler.com while the german does not, apart from the fact that the link should be to https://ghisler.fileburst.com/addons/}
Hoecker sie sind raus!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Is there any official(?) documentation somewhere in your vault how this icl has to be ordered because even the sample https://ghisler.fileburst.com/addons/wcicolib.zip does not have anything usefull in its readme concerning the position of the icons.
(all i got is 0 = tc icon, x icons for files/folders ? <- looking for a documentation for this)
Open totalcmd64.exe with the ICLView plugin.

Right-click on the Lister window and choose "Save All As ICL" - the saved file will have all the icons in the correct order.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

petermad wrote: 2023-05-29, 18:53 UTC Open totalcmd64.exe with the ICLView plugin.
Right-click on the Lister window and choose "Save All As ICL" - the saved file will have all the icons in the correct order.
Ok I was unclear, I meant more like:
Icon 00: TCs main icon
Icon 04: icon for filetype unknown
Icon 05: icon for shared-folders
Icon 08: the icon for archives, windows one to be found in imageres.dll, 174,ico
Icon 54\55: overlay icons for files in the cloud(?), windows one to be found in imageres.dll, 1404.ico

because theres some icons (like 07, icon 36 - 44) I have no clue what they are about and where to find them at runtime in tc.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Sir_SiLvA
I have never seen such a description, and yes, some of the icons are unclear to mee too, and some seem redundant. I think there are some icons that are not used anymore, but are kept to maintain the indexes.
License #524 (1994)
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

https://ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Filelist_icons#Customize_filelist_icons - old version, lack descriptions for newer icons.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Gral
Good find !
License #524 (1994)
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Thanks Gral! they keyword ICL didnt bring that page up :-/
Hoecker sie sind raus!