GIANT history menu! it covered half the screen for me!

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GIANT history menu! it covered half the screen for me!

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

And how does that help in the current situation? We don't know which characters will be removed by DrawText with option "DT_PATH_ELLIPSIS".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

I would give it as a percentage of the panel width *), which is then easily converted to pixels internally (separately for both panels?).

In addition, and that's why I'm writing in this thread, it would be important that the history list could be always displayed in the same size, even if the path names are shorter. This is important for always having the same experience and finding your way around quickly.

On the configuration page: width (% of panel): ____ [ ] fixed

Joube

*) that would be a compromise between pixels and characters.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

JOUBE,
I would give it as a percentage of the panel width
I agree (suggested it before).

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Hacker wrote: 2023-05-26, 11:40 UTC...suggested it before...
Oh, excuse-moi.
In addition, and that's why I'm writing in this thread, it would be important that the history list could be always displayed in the same size, even if the path names are shorter. This is important for always having the same experience and finding your way around quickly.

On the configuration page: width (% of panel): ____ [ ] fixed.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would give it as a percentage of the panel width
But what should happen when the user changes the relative widths of the panels? For example, I use 50%:70% with Ctrl+Q. Then the history would suddenly be much more narrow.

Maybe use % of the TC main window? But then we again have a problem when the user maximizes the window...
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
But what should happen when the user changes the relative widths of the panels?
Maybe use % of the TC main window?
Good point, yes, maybe use that.
a problem when the user maximizes the window
What problem do you mean?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-26, 15:06 UTC But what should happen when the user changes the relative widths of the panels?
For example, I use 50%:70% with Ctrl+Q. [...] Maybe use % of the TC main window?
Yes, okay, but see below.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-26, 15:06 UTC But then we again have a problem when the user maximizes the window...
What's about - generally - % of the display width (with a maximum of 50%)?

In addition, always display it in the same size is essential, even if the path names are shorter. This is important for always having the same experience and finding your way around quickly.

On the configuration page: width: ____ [ ] fixed.

Joube
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Then there is a problem when a user has a small laptop screen on the go, and an ultra-wide (e.g. two 4k screens side by side controlled as only once screen) at work.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-29, 09:16 UTC
Then there is a problem when a user has a small laptop screen on the go, and an ultra-wide (e.g. two 4k screens side by side controlled as only once screen) at work.
not resolvable ;-) Then the user had to change the width in the configuration on the go and at work... or redirect this ini part to a file which depends from monitor/network/or whatever.

Isn't it a good idea anyway to combine all ini entries to the history list in one section (,which - if available - always takes over all old entries from [configuration] and then deletes them there).You can even do this setting in the monitor resolution sections.

JOUBE
Last edited by JOUBE on 2023-05-29, 10:36 UTC, edited 4 times in total.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2ghisler(Author)
So then you can add two variables to the configuration that will be applied to your choice. One in percent of the screen; another is by the number of characters. Or maybe a couple of another co-variants we discussed here at topic above. If the Total window is on a super-large screen, the option of the number of characters is applied, otherwise by the percentage of the screen size.
#146217 personal license
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-05-29, 10:25 UTC 2ghisler(Author)
So then you can add two variables to the configuration that will be applied to your choice. One in percent of the screen; another is by the number of characters. Or maybe a couple of another co-variants we discussed here at topic above. If the Total window is on a super-large screen, the option of the number of characters is applied, otherwise by the percentage of the screen size.
Yes. Or you can even do this setting in the monitor resolution sections.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Or you can even do this setting in the monitor resolution sections.
Either that, or use some kind of DPI-independent units like dialog units or the unit used to measure fonts or so?
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-29, 13:10 UTC
Or you can even do this setting in the monitor resolution sections.
Either that, or use some kind of DPI-independent units like dialog units or the unit used to measure fonts or so?
Well, unfortunately I don't know either. Both are viable options.The advantage of the solution with the monitor resolution sections is that you set it once per monitor, and from then on it's always the same. With the other solution, you might not be satisfied with the width for that particular monitor and that affects all monitors you work with then.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Implemented in Tc11b5. But you haven't really tested the representation in Tc11b5, have you?

Set the brite to 30 characters for example, move to directories with really long path names (for testing, for example, to saved Html page directories with different character widths and, for example, many underscores), then you will see: it is wrong at the beginning and end. And this in the truest sense of the word.

Joube