GIANT history menu! it covered half the screen for me!

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Re: GIANT history menu! it covered half the screen for me!

Post by *AntonyD »

2JOUBE
I think it's worth showing such unpredictable errors graphically - in pictures with an accompanying explanation - where and what, and not how it happened.. I've checked on my long folder names - and now I don't notice some kind of incorrect render.

2ghisler(Author)
The only thing my friend complains about (I don't use this concept) is too small a gap between the column with the number of visits to frequently used directories and the ends of the lines with the names of these directories. It is especially worse to see if a scrollbar also appears.
"In the place of the red line, I would like to add a gap, just like in the place with the green line. BUT the thickness of these lines roughly shows what proportion of 'emptiness' I would like to get".
So, in another words at the position of the red line, a larger gap is needed than at the position of the green line.
https://ibb.co/xftjDX8
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm currently using a single space " " as a gap. How much would you suggest?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

triple for red and double for green lines.
#146217 personal license
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-06-01, 09:20 UTC I'm currently using a single space " " as a gap. How much would you suggest?
Ah, I was wondering why there is so little change when you subtract or add a number of characters. " " = Space is inappropriate. Better: "_" or "m" "M" or "B" or "D".

But that doesn't really matter. The most important thing is that the width that is passed to the windows function for inserting the ... is correct. And that's not the case. I don't know whether to transfer pixels or characters to the windows function? In any case, that what comes back from Windows does not fit into the existing width at all.

joube
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

that what comes back from Windows does not fit into the existing width at all.
screenshot?
#146217 personal license
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-06-01, 12:55 UTC
that what comes back from Windows does not fit into the existing width at all.
screenshot?
No, unfortunately not, I don't have time for it now, please test it yourself as I described it.

Joube
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

please test it yourself as I described it.
I did so and find nothing similar to your description.
So - we have 2 options!
1) my Eng-Rus translator is not good
2) my post analysis of your words is not good and I "see" in your words completely another - rather than you have...
Just for ex.:
" " = Space is inappropriate. Better: "_" or "m" "M" or "B" or "D".
why would be better in the case which I shown on screenshot - with visible chars from your list, rather than my invisible spaces???
And WHAT does mean those M/B/D???
#146217 personal license
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2ghisler(Author)
You asked "How much would you suggest?" for the gap. I said (based on the screenshot):
"triple for red and double for green lines."
And looks what we've got on beta6: https://ibb.co/t4HX4D1
If the picture is not self-explanatory, I will try to explain.
IT seems (I'm just not sure here), but still, you put a little more spaces for the red line from my previous screenshot https://ibb.co/xftjDX8
And that's kind of good - but for some reason you completely ignored the addition on the green line. And in the end, we can now have just such a picture that I showed at the beginning. As you can clearly see, the entry ranks to frequently used directories are not easily visible. They "merge" with the adjacent scrollbar. Yes, good eyesight, and a good monitor and resolution on it will probably help. BUT! pay attention to the output at the bottom of the picture, where the path is already displayed simply from the history of recent visits. THERE is now just a letter climbed under the scroll bar(...NDER - last 'R'). And if you added supposing and before the scrollbar more spaces (which for ranks from above section would simply move their numbers to the left), then they would also move the letter of the path to the left. Because although there are no numbers of ranks here, but these additional spaces (for red AND FOR green lines) would not disappear anywhere - but only did a good deed in a sum.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I only added a larger gap between path and numbers. I didn't add any between path and scrollbar, or numbers and scrollbar. Is that really needed?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Is that really needed?
It does look vere squezed - a couple of pixels wouldn't harm.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-06-07, 20:57 UTC Yes, I only added a larger gap between path and numbers. I didn't add any between path and scrollbar, or numbers and scrollbar. Is that really needed?
And why do you think I created the screenshot, I mapped two areas with two different colors on it, and I wrote more and more details about how many and where should we add spaces? Probably just to show - how will be very convenient and nice to see the information on the screen in a good way :roll: .

And in today’s drawing, I hope - did you see a drawing error :oops: ? When did the letter go under the scrollbar :twisted: https://ibb.co/t4HX4D1?
Last edited by AntonyD on 2023-06-08, 09:58 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I'm on Windows 11 and there the scrollbar is almost invisible when not used, so it looked OK...
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

TC11 beta 7
https://ibb.co/dLcDjqL
as we can see I can only guess why - but you definitely choose not a double space as I suggested - but something similar to " " - 4 spaces??
red area shows - this "too much" fact. Please, make this "void" by the width of this red area smaller.
And the problem of letters hidden UNDEER the invisible part of this menu - is not fixed yet. Pay attention on clipped letter 'p' from extension 'zip'.
Last edited by AntonyD on 2023-06-14, 17:10 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The hidden letter problem is caused by the "path ellipsis" parameter passed to DrawText. It seems to happen when the chosen width is very small, so DrawText has to shorten the string too much. Unfortunately I can't tell DrawText to shorten the text more to fit in the available space.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-06-14, 16:54 UTC The hidden letter problem is caused by the "path ellipsis" parameter passed to DrawText. It seems to happen when the chosen width is very small, so DrawText has to shorten the string too much. Unfortunately I can't tell DrawText to shorten the text more to fit in the available space.
DPI=120
Max. average chars = 33

The problem arises for strings that, in theory, should have fit into the list item's Bounding box completely - without cutting off part of the path to three points. And yes - this problematic line is completely rendered in this way (fully - w/o ...), but part of the last letter is covered with something. And after all, there is nothing there that could close this place - it is literally empty. But this "emptiness" cuts off some of the letters when they are rendered.
https://ibb.co/X73XW5W
As you can see - no need for ... ('w' - must be the literally last char in this item's name) - and what's most amazing is that the 'w' letter is covered by some kind of "void"! Not some run-in with a neighboring object.
#146217 personal license