TC IrfanView Plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AkulaBig

Re: TC IrfanView Plugin

Post by *AkulaBig »

lxg208 wrote: 2023-06-07, 00:41 UTC After installing 2.56, the problem is gone. Thanks.
Excellent. This was my mistake when creating a new build.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-06-06, 22:49 UTC I have checked it once again.
Your description is correct. I'm having translation problems again. It seemed to me that the word MULTIMEDIA is not created at all in the detect-string. And your description completely coincides with the default automatic installation of plugins.
Max33Verstappen

Post by *Max33Verstappen »

Test 2.56. The problem in 2.55 is gone.
But now seems IrfanView is always maximized by the plugin? Is there any way to start the window of IrfanView normally, like what's like in 2.54?
Thanks.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Max33Verstappen wrote: 2023-06-07, 06:04 UTC Test 2.56. The problem in 2.55 is gone.
But now seems IrfanView is always maximized by the plugin? Is there any way to start the window of IrfanView normally, like what's like in 2.54?
Thanks.
I'll figure it out
Last edited by AkulaBig on 2023-06-07, 09:02 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

AkulaBig wrote: 2023-06-07, 02:49 UTC
tuska wrote: 2023-06-06, 22:49 UTC I have checked it once again.
Your description is correct.
For a plugin installation, I think an ERROR MESSAGE should be avoided in any case.
Please see: Plugin-Installation - Point 8. ... error message

I suggest that you install the file "irfanview.ini" in the path "%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\"
with the section "[Options]" in the way of the installation, i.e. in the same way as you install e.g. the files
irfanview.sample.ini, IrfanView.wlx, IrfanView.wlx64, etc., i.e. WITHOUT error message.

For me, this is currently the only point that should definitely be cleaned up
in TC IrfanView Plugin 1.8.4 and TC IrfanView Plugin 2.56.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-06-07, 08:50 UTC WITHOUT error message.
Naturally, when a new settings file is created, default settings are registered in it. An empty [Options] section in the irfanview.ini file means that the IV files are searched in the subfolders IrfanView, IrfanView64. Then no error message is issued. I don't understand why you delete the irfanview.ini file every time? Now it is enough to configure it once and can be used in future versions of the program.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

AkulaBig wrote: 2023-06-07, 09:14 UTC
tuska wrote: 2023-06-07, 08:50 UTC WITHOUT error message.
Naturally, when a new settings file is created, default settings are registered in it.
An empty [Options] section in the irfanview.ini file means that the IV files are searched in the subfolders IrfanView, IrfanView64.
Then no error message is issued. I don't understand why you delete the irfanview.ini file every time?
Now it is enough to configure it once and can be used in future versions of the program.
The only reason I'm deleting them is because I want to simulate a clean install.

If a user installs the plugin, he also gets the error message if he wants to use the installation variant 1.
By the way, this is my preferred installation variant.
The file should be immediately visible to the user without having to click away an error message beforehand.

Some users may not use the plugin because they receive an error message during installation.

Since there are two installation variants, it is already difficult enough for some users to tell these variants apart.
At least for me, setting up the plugin was very confusing at first.
But now I know my way around a bit. :)
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-06-07, 10:30 UTC The file should be immediately visible to the user without having to click away an error message beforehand.
In the readme I write that first you need to install the IV, then write the path to it in irfanview.ini. If you follow this sequence, then there will be no error message. At the same time, considering that the empty [Options] section implies placing IV in the \IrfanView subfolders,... Write specifically what you propose. Because of the translator, I cannot fully understand your wish.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2AkulaBig

Clean plugin installation (the way I imagine them)
  1. Start the plug-in installation by double-clicking e.g. on wlx_TCIrfanView_1.8.4.7z in Total Commander(!)
  2. Select installation variant 1 OR installation variant 2.
    1. Installation variant 1
      • Enter the paths (or the path) to the IrfanView installation(s) into the irfanview.ini ALREADY PRESENT IN THIS PATH:
        %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\
        ... OR ...
    2. Installation variant 2
      • Copy i_view32.exe to %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\
        - OR/AND -
      • Copy i_view64.exe to %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView64\
  3. IMPORTANT NOTES
    1. If the file irfanview.ini with section [Options] was completed with the path(s) or the path to the
      file "i_view64.exe" or "i_view32.exe", then the OWN settings for IrfanView are used!

2. If the file "irfanview.ini" does NOT exist or contains only the section [Options] then the settings
      in %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\i_view32.ini
      or %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView64\i_view64.ini are accessed.
      These are the settings from the author and not by the user himself.
      If the file "i_view64.exe" or "i_view32.exe" does NOT exist in these paths (<- this is the default plugin installation!),
      then it comes to an error message!
  4. After setting up the installation variant as mentioned above, F3 Lister should now be called.
  5. Close the Lister window immediately with ESC, even if you don't see Lister (irfanview) but another plugin in the title.
    Note: The plugins are processed from top to bottom and IrfanView is currently the last lister plugin.
  6. At this point I recommend a TC restart
  7. Under Configure - Lister Plugins (.WLX), move the IrfanView Plugin further up - if necessary,
    in front of other Lister Plugins, which, for example, can also display .jpg files in the preview.
  8. Press F3 again to preview a .jpg image with Lister -> this time, Lister (irfanview) should appear in the title
    of the Lister window.
In my opinion, this should work WITHOUT an error message appearing during the plugin installation.

Please check if it works for you as described above - especially "Installation variant 1".
If not, then please remove the error message.

I think I've written enough on this topic now...
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Max33Verstappen wrote: 2023-06-07, 06:04 UTC Test 2.56. The problem in 2.55 is gone.
Thanks.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12eGl9X6udmYHAOr-zt6I6nxclMcTDtRQ/view?usp=sharing
Check the correct operation. In 2.54 I had an error with one of the operating modes. Therefore, I cannot fully return that code.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-06-07, 13:42 UTC I think I've written enough on this topic now...
I think I understand you. You suggest writing me a separate program/script to install my plugin. Maybe someday I will implement this idea, but not very soon. There are several plugins for configuring paths to an external program. And there are no separate tools for installing these plugins anywhere. If you place the IV on the default path, you don't need to configure anything at all. And for configuration, an example file is attached. I hope that's enough.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2AkulaBig

OK, then thank you very much again for your efforts also with regard to the further development of your plugin!
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

As I'm very happy with version 1.8.4
I have removed the 2.x version of the plugin.
Just for interest, why should one use the 2.x versions compared to the 1.8.4 ?
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-06-07, 16:02 UTC Just for interest, why should one use the 2.x versions compared to the 1.8.4 ?
Since version 1.8.3, there is no special meaning in using 2.x. Now these versions have almost the same capabilities. I used to use 2.x myself, but now I switched to 1.8.x. Even if something is missing, you can select Edit in an external editor in the context menu. By default, IV will start there.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-06-07, 15:49 UTC 2AkulaBig

OK, then thank you very much again for your efforts also with regard to the further development of your plugin!
The main thing is that I finally understood your idea.