[TC 11.00b7] cm_Copy /AG activates the transfer manager when there is no folder selection in the target dir

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC 11.00b7] cm_Copy /AG activates the transfer manager when there is no folder selection in the target dir

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will consider it. It isn't something I can add it 5 minutes, e.g. it would also have to support selected link files.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 11.00b7] cm_Copy /AG activates the transfer manager when there is no folder selection in the target dir

Post by *Fla$her »

I understand. OK.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I actually like that the Background Transfer Manager pops up, also for a single selected target directory - it gives a good visual indication that copying into the selected folder actually took place - this is even more important when using the /G parameter.

When using the /A parameter alone, I can see in the Copy dialog that the "Copy to all selected folders/links in the target panel" is disabled if no folders are selected in the target - but with the /AG parameter I get no such warning, so if I accidentally unselected the single target folder, the file(s) will be copied to the target folder unnoticed.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad wrote: 2023-06-20, 11:04 UTC I actually like that the Background Transfer Manager pops up, also for a single selected target directory - it gives a good visual indication that copying into the selected folder actually took place - this is even more important when using the /G parameter.
And I don't like that when copying to one folder, instead of the classic background progress that is familiar to me, for some reason I observe a transfer manager that takes up more space with a set of options that I don't need in such conditions. Remembering whether a folder has been selected on the target panel is not a problem.
petermad wrote: 2023-06-20, 11:04 UTC I get no such warning, so if I accidentally unselected the single target folder, the file(s) will be copied to the target folder unnoticed.
The fact that you make an accidental selection is not a problem of the program when using background copying. No warnings are needed here, otherwise the whole point disappears in these options.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

The fact that you make an accidental selection
I was thinking of an accidental de-selection.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Okay, but the meaning of the phrase does not change from this.
The implication is that /A plays a auxiliary role here, where, with a single click, we get an additional bonus if there is a selection. It's convenient.
It's like multiple-purpose commands. Copying utilities also do not warn about a lot of things if they do not find a match for various options.
Also, it will not be superfluous to remind you of the reason for the appearance of commands:
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-01, 14:34 UTC The following can be achieved in different ways:
cm_CopyNoAsk -> cm_copy will support parameters
cm_RenameNoAsk -> cm_renmov will support parameters
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

history.txt wrote:19.06.23 Fixed: Internal command cm_Copy: Ignore parameter /A when nothing is selected in the target panel, so files get copied in
the foreground when it is the default (32/64)
Not full fixed. If I with a freshly started TC use cm_Copy /AG, and NO target folders are selected, the file(s) are copied in the foreground, as expected.

If DO mark a target folder and copy files to that target folder with cm_Copy /AG, it is done in the background, as expexted.
BUT if I thereafter do NOT mark any target folder and use cm_Copy /AG the copying is done in the background, which is not expected.

Somehow copying in the background with cm_Copy /AG once, keeps that mode for the rest of the TC session.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's strange, I will try to reproduce it.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad wrote: 2023-06-21, 16:25 UTC If DO mark a target folder and copy files to that target folder with cm_Copy /AG, it is done in the background, as expexted.
Are you confusing anything? The behavior has not changed for one marked folder. The translation manager is still activated instead of the usual background.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Fla$her
Are you confusing anything? The behavior has not changed for one marked folder. The translation manager is still activated instead of the usual background.
I am reporting according to:
history.txt wrote:
19.06.23 Fixed: Internal command cm_Copy: Ignore parameter /A when nothing is selected in the target panel, so files get copied in
the foreground when it is the default (32/64)
which does not say anything about using foreground copying when (only) one target folder is selected - my comment is about that "cm_Copy /AG activates the transfer manager when there is no folder selection in the target dir" which is also the title of this topic that you wrote yourself.
License #524 (1994)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad wrote: 2023-06-21, 17:08 UTC which does not say anything about using foreground copying when (only) one target folder is selected
So I didn't write about the foreground either. I compared two types of windows with background copying — standard and with the manager. See p. 4 and 5.
It's not clear why you mentioned marking one folder, if it's only about the lack of selection?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Fla$her

Please read this again:
If I with a freshly started TC use cm_Copy /AG, and NO target folders are selected, the file(s) are copied in the foreground, as expected.

If DO mark a target folder and copy files to that target folder with cm_Copy /AG, it is done in the background, as expexted.
BUT if I thereafter do NOT mark any target folder and use cm_Copy /AG the copying is done in the background, which is not expected.
It is the last line here above that describes the new bug. It is not about what I write about in the second line is done in one type of background or the other. - this is about TC continuing to copy in the background if it has done it once - also when the copying should be done in the foregruond, namely when no target folder is selected.

Please try and do what I describe in line 2 a 3 in the quoted text.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was able to reproduce it now, and will fix it in the next beta.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

petermad wrote:Not full fixed. If I with a freshly started TC use cm_Copy /AG, and NO target folders are selected, the file(s) are copied in the foreground, as expected.

history.txt wrote:22.06.23 Fixed: After copying with cm_copy /AG with selected target directories, calling cm_copy /AG with no targets would still copy in background by mistake (32/64)
Confirmed fixed in TC 11.00b9 :-)
License #524 (1994)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-06-20, 10:48 UTC I will consider it. It isn't something I can add it 5 minutes, e.g. it would also have to support selected link files.
When should we expect the option?
Overquoting is evil! 👎