[TC 10.52] Backgroud Transfer Manager - wrong copy dest. with the Cloud plugin

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dowiew

[TC 10.52] Backgroud Transfer Manager - wrong copy dest. with the Cloud plugin

Post by *dowiew »

I've just installed the Cloud plugin. When I press F5 to copy files to OneDrive I can see it doesn't support the Queue (F2). OK.
But when I open the menu Commands/Backgroud Transfer Manager and add files manually with [+] local=>OneDrive, it accepts the operation and starts copying with the progress bar updating, files seem to be copied and disappear from the list, but nothing actually happens.
Aha! What I can see now is that the files are copied to C:\Cloud\OneDrive.... (new folder created) instead of \\\Cloud\OneDrive....

It's obvoiusly a bug of the Backgroud Transfer Manager. I don't want any files to be copied to my C: drive, even accidentally, by mistake.
Please allow the Cloud plugin to queue files in the Backgroud Transfer Manager, or disable the Manager to accept Cloud plugin files to be added manually.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 10.52] Backgroud Transfer Manager - wrong copy dest. with the Cloud plugin

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Bug confirmed
It's also in TC 11.00RC3
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC 10.52] Backgroud Transfer Manager - wrong copy dest. with the Cloud plugin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This should be fixed in TC11 final, can anyone test it please?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dowiew

Post by *dowiew »

The F2-Queue is still not supported when you F5-Copy to the OneDrive cloud plugin. Will it ever be supported?
In the Commands/Backgroud Transfer Manager if I'm trying to add files manually with [+] local=>OneDrive, all I get is confusing "Target path" dialog with empty target input box. The [Tree] button starts scanning the C: drive.
It's confusing.
Forget about it though if the backgroun transfer and F2-Queue are not supported in local-cloud operations.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The F2-Queue is still not supported when you F5-Copy to the OneDrive cloud plugin. Will it ever be supported?
No, because it cannot be guaranteed that all file system plugins will work this way.
In the Commands/Backgroud Transfer Manager if I'm trying to add files manually with [+] local=>OneDrive, all I get is confusing "Target path" dialog with empty target input box.
That's because the plugin isn't a valid target - you have to set one yourself.
The [Tree] button starts scanning the C: drive.
It's the default when there is no target.
It's confusing.
How would you make it better?
Last edited by white on 2023-08-13, 08:54 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo "ma e" -> "make"
dowiew

Post by *dowiew »

I'm an experienced long-time computer user so I can guess all of it right away, but my son was confused asking why the target field is empty, what to type there to have the files copied to onedrive etc.
I believe the way we useres usually think is: I have two panes open. I want to copy from one pane to the other. If it's impossible, and all I can see is an empty target box, I'm confused.
If something is not possible, I want to know it. Don't make users think and guess and ask. Just a few words hint would be useful.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I also find the current behavior confusing.
If the target isn't possible, display an error message.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Imagine that you have an ongoing copy operation in the background, and you want to add some more files to it which are currently selected in the left file panel. Unfortunately for you, the right panel shows a OneDrive folder. With your suggestion, the "+" button in the background transfer manager would refuse to do anything. Would that really be useful?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moderator message

Moved to will not be changed