copy/move/del/sync: when questions go at the end?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

oko

copy/move/del/sync: when questions go at the end?

Post by *oko »

Can you tell me when questions (e.g. overwrite, delete read only and so on) go at the end of copy/move/del/sync process? And when not? Because sometimes it works so, sometimes not. It is not realiable. Maybe I could better choose another way of copying if I know when it works with questions at the end and when it doesnt work.
Last edited by oko on 2023-12-05, 09:26 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: copy: when questions go at the end?

Post by *Dalai »

TC shows confirmations immediately within the first 5 seconds. The reasoning is that the user is very likely to see confirmations shortly after starting an operation. Everything after this "timeout" is shown at the end of the process. This is configurable:
TC help, section 4.b, part 2 wrote:SkippedFileCopy=1
1: First copy all files where the user doesn't need to be asked and skip all with errors, ask at the end
0: Copy all files in order, ask for confirmation when needed
>=100: Like 1, but sets number of milliseconds at start during which the user will be asked too (default 5000)
Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
oko

Post by *oko »

Thanks Dalai for some information.
As I noticed, questions deffering is not implemented everywhere. It does not work if "F5-F2 queue" is used (questions are shown anytime during copying/moving). It does not work during deleting files as well. Questions deffering for copy/move/remove/sync could be documented in help. Man can not rely on it if does not know how it works, then pc may work hours without activity due to waiting for answer.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, a lot can be configured before actually starting a copy/move operation by pressing Enter or F2. This applies to operations in the foreground as well as in the background transfer manager. Press the Options button in the copy dialog and select what's appropriate for the operation at hand. In regards to the directory synchronisation at least the overwriting can be set before starting the sync. That probably doesn't include errors during copying though.

I'm not sure if showing errors at the end of an operation is supposed to be working in the background transfer manager or when deleting files.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
oko

Re: copy/move/del/sync: when questions go at the end?

Post by *oko »

Options in F5/F6 dialog concern overwriting only. Questions concern also:
copy/move: keep names over 259 chars,
delete: delete hidden/system, delete readonly.

Sometimes user can not choose appropriate option before copy/move/delete (in F5/F6 advanced options) so asking is required by user to choose what to do with particular files but it could be always deffered at the end (or start) of copy/move/delete process. If it is not implemented in some of the method of file operations user should be aware of it to choose if he have to stay at pc or he can go away.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

There are a lot of threads and discussions about making operations unattended. Most of them were created long before SkippedFileCopy even existed in TC. Take a look at the options LongNameCopy in TC help and Options > Misc > Get confirmation before > Overwriting/Deleting read-only files and Overwriting/Deleting hidden/system files.

If you copy in the foreground confirmations are shown at the end (after 5 seconds). Not sure about the other ways to transfer files (BTM, dir sync etc), as I've said before.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

oko

Post by *oko »

Thanks Dalai for useful information on working, setting and keywords. I have found some discussions. The key information is to know that "delayed error messages" do not work in btm (backround transfer manager), in this case it is better to use foreground/backround copy/move.