install path Roaming versus Program Files? and just 64-bit?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nn1k3

install path Roaming versus Program Files? and just 64-bit?

Post by *nn1k3 »

Sorry for my naive question. I may have messed up my installation of Total Commander. I may have to delete and reinstall. I don't want to repeat my mistakes.

Q1. But first, please remind me why there is a combined 32-bit + 64-bit version of TC? Is it just because old plugins might not work?

Q2. Also, are my files below in the correct location?
Ini-file: "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER\wincmd.ini".
License: "C:\Program Files\totalcmd\WINCMD.KEY".
Plugins folder: "C:\Program Files\totalcmd\plugins".

Q3. And do these variables look OK:
C:\Program Files\totalcmd>set
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
APPDATA=C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming
COMMANDER_DRIVE=C:
COMMANDER_EXE=C:\Program Files\totalcmd\TOTALCMD64.EXE
COMMANDER_INI=C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER\wincmd.ini
COMMANDER_INSTANCE=1
COMMANDER_PATH=C:\Program Files\totalcmd
COMMANDER_SESSIONNAME=user

Those may seem obvious, but I read that some users prefer this:
COMMANDER_EXE=C:\totalcmd\TOTALCMD64.EXE

Furthermore, there are discussions of permissions such that you can't easily tweak plugins. I wonder whether plugins should be in AppData\Roaming\Ghisler

Many thanks.
beb

Re: install path Roaming versus Program Files? and just 64-bit?

Post by *beb »

My point of view:
Q1 > A1. Universality.
For those who still have to deal with both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, the combined version provides a uniform working environment.
Q2 > A2. Portability.
Essentially, it's up to the user.
I appreciate the portability and prefer to keep it all within the %commander_path%.
Q3 > A3. Portability (again).
Essentially, it's up to the user again.
For me, regarding portability, in no way I would ever install and keep TotalCommander within the restricted %ProgramFiles% scope, and within the %SystemDrive% at all (excluding the testing purposes of course).

Edit 1,2:
PS

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
UseIniInProgramDir=7
For me, the above is a must.
Otherwise, I can see no valuable point as to why a user decides to utilize such a powerful tool as TotalCommander. Why just not happily keep enjoying Windows Explorer then?
Still, any TotalCommander user is very welcome.
It's OK to begin with the 'defaults', and then proceed to probe in finding your own best practice and ask any actual questions.
Cheers.
Last edited by beb on 2024-01-02, 21:04 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

nn1k3 wrote: 2024-01-02, 19:29 UTCQ1. But first, please remind me why there is a combined 32-bit + 64-bit version of TC? Is it just because old plugins might not work?
Yes, and although the combined setup is not really meant for such systems, it can be used on 32-bit (Windows) systems.
Q2. Also, are my files below in the correct location?
Ini-file: "C:\Users\The-Boss\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER\wincmd.ini".
License: "C:\Program Files\totalcmd\WINCMD.KEY".
Plugins folder: "C:\Program Files\totalcmd\plugins".
These are the default locations. There is no right or wrong here - except maybe for the license file, but even that can be located in the same directory as wincmd.ini (e.g. in %AppData%\Ghisler).
Q3. And do these variables look OK:
The environment variables depend on the locations chosen for the wincmd.ini and so on; there's no right or wrong either.
Furthermore, there are discussions of permissions such that you can't easily tweak plugins. I wonder whether plugins should be in AppData\Roaming\Ghisler
It depends. Some plugins use or can be configured to use the same directory as wincmd.ini and save their settings there, i.e. pkplugin.ini, lsplugin.ini, fsplugin.ini or contplug.ini or their own config file. Some plugins lack such a feature and only know a single location for their configuration file in their own plugin directory. Some plugins don't need to write to their configuration file, but some of them do. As I said, it depends on the plugin and the need to write to plugin config files.

Since version 10.00 TC actually has a feature that redirects writes from a protected location to %AppData%\Ghisler\REDIRECT:

10.03.21 Release Total Commander 10.00 public beta 1
[...]
11.02.21 Added: For plugins in write protected directories, intercept calls to CreateFileA/W and all INI functions, and redirect write calls to %APPDATA%\GHISLER\redirect (32/64)
Saving plugin configuration should work even for such protected locations. Keep in mind that if a config file exists in the redirect location it will be used, even if the config file in the protected location is writable. Had to make that experience a couple of months ago, and that was annoying to see.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

beb has said it all.
Just want to add that I have TC installed not even on C: (that partition is reserved for the System files) but in D:\Tools\TC and it is competely portable. By inserting UseIniInProgramDir = 7 in wincmd.ini all files necessary to run TC are in the installation directory. This way you never have to deal with rectrictions and you can easily copy TC to another computer.
@beb: Take care and good luck!
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
beb

Post by *beb »

2Wilhelm M.
We are trying our best to keep going.
Thank you very much.
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

beb wrote: 2024-01-02, 20:09 UTC

[Configuration]
UseIniInProgramDir=7
For me, the above is a must.
Otherwise, I can see no valuable point as to why a user decides to utilize such a powerful tool as TotalCommander. Why just not happily keep enjoying Windows Explorer then?
If i understand you correctly, you say that a user who installs TC in %ProgramFiles% with the respective INI files in %AppData%\GHISLER would practically be equally well if not better served by Windows Explorer than by TC.

Assuming my understanding is correct, this is a rather bizarre and childish argument to make. The absurdity of it is beyond belief...
beb

Post by *beb »

2elgonzo
Nope. I differentiated from the very beginning that there's my point of view and that the other existing options are up to a user's discretion. Since a program has those other options, nothing is wrong if a user tries it and sees how it works for them, and finds their way. However, I can agree that I rather used a kind of too sharp language in the postscript, which may lower the value of my message as a whole, if any. Still, I'm leaving it as it was, intended to bring positive effects to a healthy thinking user.
#278521 User License
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

beb wrote: 2024-01-02, 23:27 UTC [...] nothing is wrong if a user tries it and sees how it works for them, and finds their way. However, I can agree that I rather used a kind of too sharp language in the postscript, which may lower the value of my message as a whole, if any.
That is not how your 1st post reads.
It's not sharp language diluting the message, it's an entirely different message in your 1st post from the one you claim in your response to me. I sense a disconnect between what you feel your 1st post says and what it actually says.
The message of your first post is rather (paraphrasing) "My way of setting up TC is the right way! And the other way(s) of setting up TC, well they are so pointless you might just use Windows Explorer instead". That's a message as different and far removed from "a user [...] finds their way" as it possibly can be.
Still, I'm leaving it as it was, intended to bring positive effects to a healthy thinking user.
Holy moly, this is so silly. I mean, of course you can keep it any way you like, it's your post after all. But making absurd statements in the hope of bringing "positive effects" to "healthy thinking user" (whatever/whoever this is supposed to be) ... What...??? Well, they say laughing is good for the mind, so i guess you have a valid point here after all. :lol: :twisted:
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Dalai wrote: 2024-01-02, 20:27 UTC ... There is no right or wrong here - except maybe for the license file, but even that can be located in the same directory as wincmd.ini (e.g. in %AppData%\Ghisler).
There is an important difference though when uninstalling Total Commander, see here.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

nn1k3 wrote: 2024-01-02, 19:29 UTC Q1. But first, please remind me why there is a combined 32-bit + 64-bit version of TC? Is it just because old plugins might not work?
Because there are still more 32bit only plugins.
nn1k3 wrote: 2024-01-02, 19:29 UTC Q2. Also, are my files below in the correct location?
Thats something only YOU can decide.
nn1k3 wrote: 2024-01-02, 19:29 UTC Q3. And do these variables look OK:
COMMANDER_EXE=C:\Program Files\totalcmd\TOTALCMD64.EXE
COMMANDER_INI=C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\GHISLER\wincmd.ini
See Q2 but personally I keep my TC on an external drive including all its settings so that when I have to reinstall Windows my TC is always ready to go.
Hoecker sie sind raus!