Simplifying File Selection in Compare By Content Feature

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

cuthbertdavies

Simplifying File Selection in Compare By Content Feature

Post by *cuthbertdavies »

Hello,

I frequently use the Compare By Content feature with files that have been renamed, often because I've added a date or version number after editing them.

However, when the Compare by Content dialog box appears, one side is left with an empty file name field, requiring me to manually search for the file. This can be time-consuming, especially since the files are often deeply nested in different folders. Additionally, if the file is on my NAS (which I choose not to map for added security), I have to navigate the network paths, which delays the process even further.

Is there a setting or configuration option available that would allow the Compare By Content dialog box to automatically populate with the names of the files I'm comparing?

Thank you.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Simplifying File Selection in Compare By Content Feature

Post by *Gral »

Did you read and try this: (from TC help)
The two files are chosen as follows:
- If more than one file is selected, the two first will be compared
- If only one file is selected, it will be compared with the first selected file in the target window
- If only one file is selected, and no file is selected in the target window, it will be compared with a file in the other window, having the same name (if it exists)
- If no file is selected, the file under the cursor is compared with a file in the other window, having the same name
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Simplifying File Selection in Compare By Content Feature

Post by *petermad »

2cuthbertdavies
Is the files you want to compare in the same directory? If they are, you just mark the two files (in the same panel) that you want to compare.

Also, you can open the current folder in the opposite panel via menu "Commands" -> "Target=Source". (cm_MatchSrc)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar