Port Connection with Cable Matters Cable

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

grafxran

Port Connection with Cable Matters Cable

Post by *grafxran »

I'm having trouble in 2 areas with connecting 2 PCs with a Cable Matters cable.
I am up to the most current version of total commander and have installed both 32 and 64 bit versions.
I have run TcUsbRun.exe on both computers.
First problem is neither computer recognizes when the cable matters cable is plugged in.
I understand I will be asked whether I want to start Total Commander as a client or as a server.
This does not happen on either computer.

Main problem: After plugging in the cable, when I select PORT connection to other PC and select Server, I get the waiting window with an abort button.
Other computer, After plugging in the cable, I select PORT connection to other PC and select Client.
I see the drives on my other 'server' computer listed - as expected.
Main computer - the 'waiting' window now contains the following:
CONNECT U
OK U
Connection established!
LIST
SIZE 36
LIST OK
but this window does not go away and the only options I have are to either abort, minimize (minimizes all of Total Commander)
or Maximize which does as you would expect it to do.

I have been fiddling around much longer than I would care to admit and am ..... almost there!
What is wrong and why won't that 'waiting' window close on my first chosen server computer?
On the other computer, I can now access all the files on the allocated server computer.
The server computer at this point cannot access the client.

One additional question is, does it matter whether I run 32 bit or 64 bit tcmd?

Help!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Port Connection with Cable Matters Cable

Post by *petermad »

Main computer - the 'waiting' window now contains the following:
CONNECT U
OK U
Connection established!
LIST
SIZE 36
LIST OK
but this window does not go away...
That is how it is supposed to be. You can not operate the current TC instance on the Server side. You can open another TC instance, if you need to use TC on the server computer..
If you copy files between the two computers via the cable you will see info about the trafic in this window.

On the other computer, I can now access all the files on the allocated server computer.
That is as expected.

The server computer at this point cannot access the client.
Also as expected - the cable connection only gives you access on the Client computer - but you can copy files freely from client to server and from server to client, as long as you do it from the client computer.

Cable connection does not behave like a Network Share.

So there is nothing wrong with your setup - you just expect too much.

Don't try to open secondary instances of TC on both computers and make the reverse server/client configuration as in the primary instances.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
grafxran

Post by *grafxran »

Thanks so much for your reply. I am now better informed! and it was working as expected.
Well that's good news

so as far as ". . . you just expect too much" goes,
I was expecting it to work like the recommended PCLinq software that was all I had to use up to this point.
I can use it, but prefer much more what can be done with tcmd - the best goto utility since the beginning of time.

thx again, you were very helpful and answered one of my questions.

Still not clear why my computer isn't recognizing the cable matters cable and being asked if I want it to be client or server.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

petermad wrote: 2024-03-10, 22:11 UTC Also as expected - the cable connection only gives you access on the Client computer
Prescribed. Text must be: access to the Server computer

petermad wrote: 2024-03-10, 22:11 UTC - but you can copy files freely from client to server and from server to client, as long as you do it from the client computer.

Cable connection does not behave like a Network Share.
? It is the same client/server behavior as with a Network Share

grafxran wrote: 2024-03-11, 04:57 UTC Still not clear why my computer isn't recognizing the cable matters cable and being asked if I want it to be client or server.
This is the normal behavior of it.

Joube
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Prescribed. Text must be: access to the Server computer
Or: "access from the Client computer."

? It is the same client/server behavior as with a Network Share
I meant that with Network shares you can open the opposite computer on both computers at the same time. With Transfer cable you can only have the Server open on one computer and the Client on the other at the same time.

Still not clear why my computer isn't recognizing the cable matters cable and being asked if I want it to be client or server.
That depends. On Windows XP and 7 the autoplay works when the cable is plugged in but apparently Windows 8.1 and 10 are missing the necessasary
MagicUSBDeviceHandler.

You can still open the Server in a separate process with: %COMMANDER_EXE% /S=P:USB (as autoplay in Windows XP and 7 does)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar